The Methods of Sergeant Cluff

by Gil North | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 2/12/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 12, 2019
It is a wet and windy night in the town of Gunnarshaw, on the edge of the Yorkshire moors. The body of young Jane Trundle , assistant in the chemist's shop, is discovered lying face down on the cobblestones.
Sergeant Caleb Cluff is not a man of many words, and neither does he play by the rules. He may exasperate his superiors, but he has the loyal support of his constable and he is the only CID man in the division. The case is his.
Life in Gunnarshaw is tough with its people caught up in a rigid network of social conventions. But, as Cluff's investigation deepens, Gunnarshaw's veneer of hard-working respectability starts to crumble.

Sparse, tense and moodily evoking the unforgiving landscape, this crime novel keeps the reader guessing till the end.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 04, 2019
This was a quick read which I started early afternoon and finished late in the evening. The author sets a very atmospheric tone contrasting the beauty of the moors with the gritty poverty of many of the town dwellers. This is a detective novel with a difference because there is a pervading menace here but it comes from the "good" guy. Although he does take note of evidence and even found some for himself at one point, he generally ignores his colleagues and even his Inspector and to a lesser extent the Chief Superintendent seem in awe and are jealous of him. He visits all his suspects though he doesn't really interview them. He is just there looming over them and for the main suspect he spends a lot of time just standing in the street nearby. He doesn't speak but the atmosphere is such that you can almost hear the words "I know what you've done my lad and I'll have you. Be sure of that I'll have you." The ending is very good too. I'd never heard of this author or the tv series that was apparently made of the Cluff books but I would like to read more.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Released 5 days ago (5/20/2020 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

Mailed to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 4 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2020