Thirteen Ways Of Looking

by Colum McCann | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by spy-there of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 2/4/2019
Journal Entry 1 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, February 04, 2019
wow, a McCann at the book sale :)

Journal Entry 2 by spy-there at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, March 15, 2019
The title is derived from a poem: Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird, and above each chapter stands a verse of the poem. It's a novella and three short stories. Although I couldn't see their relation to the poem; maybe it's just quotes for decoration.

The first novella describes the last day in the life of a retired judge, through the eyes of the judge and through the surveillance cameras which the police investigates to find out who murdered the old man. But it descibes only the work of scrutinizing the videos, it's not a crime story, that is, we'll never know whether the case has been solved. It's just about the ways of looking. A bit like art for art's sake, writing for writing's sake. Yes he can write, these are beautiful, poetic stories. But somehow they struck me as abstract constructs. One story is even about how to write a story.

Noticeable also that in three of his five stories the heroes are Jews. As far I know, he is an Irish Catholic, why is he suddenly so interested in Jewish customs?
I liked these stories less than his novels like Let the Great World Spin or This Side of Brightness. But they are of course excellent as everything from McCann.

Journal Entry 3 by spy-there at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, March 21, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/21/2019 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

happy reading, manuma

Journal Entry 4 by wingOBCZ-TeddysDenwing at Herisau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden Switzerland on Saturday, March 23, 2019
Looking forward to a great read- thank you spy for bringing it along to our meetup!