The Winter Garden Mystery

by Carola Dunn | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingCassandra2020wing of Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 03, 2019
The Winter Garden Mystery by Carola Dunn - Good

Another outing for the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple. After her brother and fiancé were killed in the trenches, the title and estate passed to a cousin leaving Daisy to make her own way in the world. She chose to do this by writing articles for a classy magazine: Town and Country. In particular, she writes about country houses as she can get old friends and acquaintances to invite her for the weekend and has no problem fitting in.

In this case, she's visiting Occles Hall and her old school friend Bobbie (Roberta) Parslow. There she meets her dragon of a mother (Lady Valeria), father, brother and father's secretary. As she settles in and finds her way around, she decides to photograph the Winter Garden and, of course, discovers a body - the parlour maid that 'ran off to London' a month or two earlier.

The local police are worse than useless and totally cowed by Lady Valeria so Daisy contacts her old friend at Scotland Yard Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (3/13/2019 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted out as a RABCK today

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 15, 2019
Thank you for responding to my less than subtle hint! I was hoping you might save this one for me for when I next come up to Edinburgh. I like the poem too.