Sworn Secret

by Amanda Jennings | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcontowing of Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on 2/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, February 03, 2019
From de back cover:
"When Anna, Lizzie Thorne's charismatic sister, is killed in a tragic accident, her family is plunged into shock and despair. One year on and grief still has a suffocating hold on them. Lizzie's mother, Kate, consumed by loss, retreats from her family locking herself away to paint Anna's portrait for hours on end. Jon, her father, is doing his best to care for his loved ones but the pressure of trying to stop his marriage collapsing is pushing him to breaking point. Amid her parents' turmoil, Lizzie just wants to grow up and leave her sister's ghost in the past."

I read this book in the beggining of 2017 as it was advertised as one of the unjustifiedly ill treated debut novels of the previous years. It tells a little more than an insignificant story, but told with mastery. The pain of loss and it's violence, reproduced in Jennings' writing, made me remember Siri Hustvedt (but otherwise there's nothing similar in their writing) and it seems to me an unwise book for people with children and/or sensitive souls.
I liked it a lot but I don't exactly think it's a wonder.