The Triumph of Night, and Xingu

by Edith Wharton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 2/1/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 01, 2019
These two short stories are so different, despite their common authorship, that I am truly surprised that they are in the same bind up. "The Triumph of Night" is essentially a horror tale, while "Xingu" is a biting social satire. I enjoyed both, but in some ways preferred "The Triumph of Night" simply because it was so very atmospheric.

Released 8 mos ago (2/18/2019 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out as a RABCK to another BookCrosser who I thought might enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2019
The RABCK package arrived today - thanks so much! (The package had been opened for media-mail inspection; I think all the original books were still in it, but if I fail to journal one, please let me know, as that might indicate an escapee.)

This slim volume contains two of Wharton's many short stories, and I've read and enjoyed them both: the dark and unnerving "Triumph of Night," with its heartwrenching conclusion, and the snarkily hilarious "Xingu" about "ladies who pursue Culture in bands, as though it were dangerous to meet alone". The turns of phrase in that one are great fun: "Her mind was an hotel where facts came and went like transient lodgers, without leaving their address behind, and frequently without paying for their board."

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I plan to take this book to this afternoon's BookCrossing Meetup at Panera. If nobody claims this one I'll retrieve it to release elsewhere. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Four Elements release challenge, for the Xingu river. ***

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, July 20, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/20/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release ay July 2019 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 21, 2019
I got this one back at yesterday's meetup, and will release it elsewhere!

Released 3 mos ago (7/21/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library while heading for the Sunday farmers' market on Main Street; hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]