El Deafo

by Cece Bell | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 9781419712173 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 1/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A souvenir of my 2018 trip to Maui.

Another memoir in the format of a graphic novel - this one about growing up hearing impaired in the late 1970s (or maybe the early 1980s).

El Deafo was a Newbery Honor book in 2015, and won Hawaii's Nēnē Award in 2018.

Here's another copy on my BookCrossing shelf.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, February 01, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (1/31/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Thursday, January 31, 2019: this book is heading for Virginia with a few friends.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3302 9031 4212 88
ETA 2/20/19

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 06, 2019
Thank you for sending this great collection of graphic novels, hyphen8!
I'm so excited to dive in!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 16, 2019
Such a great story! Very educational and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for sharing hyphen8!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/23/2019 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Adding to nimrodiel's Manga/Graphic Novel Bookbox. Journal book here.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 6 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, July 08, 2019
When the world is a wall,

sometimes the only way
is straight through!

Journal Entry 7 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, October 06, 2019
This was a very intriguing story. And I also think it was incredibly well handled. I hadn't never really considered but a child's life might be like having lost their hearing. I mean as far as real challenges go. I don't know much about it.

So the story actually introduced a lot of new things to me about how that kind of thing works. I can understand how isolating it must have been for her and uncomfortable. It was amazing how well she handled it and how resilient her spirit was. It was very uplifting in that way.

It is very sad about her best friend and the way she couldn't cope with her feelings of guilt. Even though they were not appropriate and it took her a long time to realize it wasn't her fault. Given that it was the girls only real friendship, that must have been an incredible loss. You could really see it in her. And the microphone but the boy took around the neighborhood, that's actually pretty cool.

It was a very good story and I'm glad that I ran across that. Two thumbs up!

( so I can't agree with a girl that it would have been appealing to listen to her teacher pee... LOL)