The Accident

by Chris Pavone | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingBookgeowing of Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 1/28/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, January 28, 2019
Airport purchase from previous travels as I enjoyed Pavone's first, The Expats.
A paperback by Faber & Faber, 2014, 508 pages.

Synopsis from Amazon.com:

"As dawn approaches in New York, literary agent Isabel Reed is turning the final pages of a mysterious, anonymous manuscript, racing through the explosive revelations about powerful people, as well as long-hidden secrets about her own past. In Copenhagen, veteran CIA operative Hayden Gray, determined that this sweeping story be buried, is suddenly staring down the barrel of an unexpected gun. And in Zurich, the author himself is hiding in a shadowy expat life, trying to atone for a lifetime’s worth of lies and betrayals with publication of The Accident, while always looking over his shoulder.

Over the course of one long, desperate, increasingly perilous day, these lives collide as the book begins its dangerous march toward publication, toward saving or ruining careers and companies, placing everything at risk—and everyone in mortal peril. The rich cast of characters—in publishing and film, politics and espionage—are all forced to confront the consequences of their ambitions, the schisms between their ideal selves and the people they actually became.

The action rockets around Europe and across America, with an intricate web of duplicities stretching back a quarter-century to a dark winding road in upstate New York, where the shocking truth about the accident itself is buried."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookgeowing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2020
I remember enjoying Pavone's The Expats seven years ago, so I was hopeful with The Accident. This was perhaps not exactly a spy novel as such but it had many elements with the same style as it was fast-paced, had great international locations, devious characters and of course, the chase. The plot's setting in the literary publishing world was the best thing in this book and I felt Pavone described this business with interesting depth and smart style. I would have liked to read a bit more about the hinted claims on the joint operations by CIA and media world, as those fictional claims might be closer to reality than publicly admitted.

To remember Pavone and not to let another seven years pass without his text in my hands, I added his novels The Travelers and The Paris Diversion to my wishlist now.

***
Suomi mainittu challenge by Alejanda
This book mentions Finland quite a few times. There is mention about a disaster in Finland on page 92 and this same case is referred as Finland on several other pages, too. There are also white tulips in an Alvar Aalto vase on page 48.

Kouluhaaste (school challenge) by Liisa
3. ensimmäinen vieras kieli = englanti
3. first foreign language = English

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookgeowing at to fulfill a wish, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Released 1 wk ago (9/16/2020 UTC) at to fulfill a wish, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist surprise for Annimanni, I hope you enjoy this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Thanks very much! I'm sure I will. Enjoy this, I mean. :)