Enlightenment

by Reno Ursal | Teens |
ISBN: 098444081X Global Overview for this book
Registered by originalslicey of Kansas City, Missouri USA on 1/28/2019
Journal Entry 1 by originalslicey from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Monday, January 28, 2019
This was an advanced reader copy sent by the publisher. I was excited to read this book based on the premise. I've never seen a romance or YA book with Filipino characters before and I liked the idea of the main characters being Filipino. This was also great for the first few chapters, but all the footnotes to read got pretty tedious pretty fast.

There aren't only modern Filipino references to learn - ethnic cuisine, slang words, so many little tidbits of culture that make this book interesting, but for someone completely unaware of the culture all the unfamiliar terms become overwhelming. On top of this there are also historical references and a whole fantasy world building to learn.

There's a surprising supernatural revealation halfway through the book, and that's when I gave up on this one. At that point I lost my interest in finding out what the female lead was going to do/become, but she seems powerful.

Reserving for Female Empowerment bookbox.

Released 6 mos ago (1/28/2019 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book was an advance reader copy given to me by the publisher. It's unique in that it "explores the history of the Phillipines through the first-person perspectives of Filipino American characters." I think the constant footnotes explaining the Filipino references get a little tedious, but someone who already understands these references without needing a lot of expository dialogue or a glossary might enjoy this.

There are young adult and paranormal elements here. Releasing to the Feminism/Girl Power Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 28, 2019

♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀

Taken from the Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox.

💞 💞 💞 💞 💞 💞💞 💞 💞 💞