Spinning Silver

by Naomi Novik | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by locker-monster of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by locker-monster from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 26, 2019
Welcome to BookCrossing! This book is now yours to do with as you please. Keep it and read it or pass it on after you're done. Before you do, please considering making a quick journal entry. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!

Journal Entry 2 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 26, 2019
This book is described as a re-telling of Rumpelstiltskin, but only a few elements from the tale are used, so it's more of an original story. I loved that the book has three strong POVs from three separate women; their circumstances are vastly different but they all come together as the story goes on. The ending did sour the book a bit for me, which is why this is an 8 rather than a 9. But if you enjoyed "Uprooted", I'm sure you will enjoy "Spinning Silver".
----------------
With the Nebula Award–winning Uprooted, Naomi Novik opened a brilliant new chapter in an already acclaimed career, delving into the magic of fairy tales to craft a love story that was both timeless and utterly of the now. Spinning Silver draws readers deeper into this glittering realm of fantasy, where the boundary between wonder and terror is thinner than a breath, and safety can be stolen as quickly as a kiss.

Miryem is the daughter and granddaughter of moneylenders, but her father’s inability to collect his debts has left his family on the edge of poverty—until Miryem takes matters into her own hands. Hardening her heart, the young woman sets out to claim what is owed and soon gains a reputation for being able to turn silver into gold.

When an ill-advised boast draws the attention of the king of the Staryk—grim fey creatures who seem more ice than flesh—Miryem’s fate, and that of two kingdoms, will be forever altered. Set an impossible challenge by the nameless king, Miryem unwittingly spins a web that draws in a peasant girl, Wanda, and the unhappy daughter of a local lord who plots to wed his child to the dashing young tsar.

But Tsar Mirnatius is not what he seems. And the secret he hides threatens to consume the lands of humans and Staryk alike. Torn between deadly choices, Miryem and her two unlikely allies embark on a desperate quest that will take them to the limits of sacrifice, power, and love.

Channeling the vibrant heart of myth and fairy tale, Spinning Silver weaves a multilayered, magical tapestry that readers will want to return to again and again.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 27, 2019

Released 12 mos ago (1/27/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book as part of the Calgary BookCrossing Christmas wrapped book exchange. The first sentence reads: "The real story isn't half as pretty as the one you've heard."

Journal Entry 4 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 28, 2019
So excited to read this! Caught at the annual High Tea with the local Calgary group.

Journal Entry 5 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 15, 2019
Felt a tad slow to start but once I got into it I could not put it down. Inventive and different, great characters and well-written.

Journal Entry 6 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 04, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Controlled release at local book crossing meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019
I loved this book . I got it from the library before it made it’s way to me and bookcrossing - and stayed up until 5am to finish it in a night. Such a satisfying ending - but I do wish Wanda had a larger role. She was easily my favourite character.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Picked up at the March meeting!

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (4/13/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the April meeting!
I loved this book! It was a beautiful remaking with a nugget of a couple of different fairy tales/mythologies at the core but imaginatively expanded into a brand new universe with amazing characters.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 10 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 14, 2019
Picked up at the calgary April meeting

Journal Entry 11 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
Great story, strong female leads.
I did find the constant bouncing between 3 narrators a bit distracting, especially when the author decided to throw 3 more narrators in to the mix for no part particular reason (for 2 of them at least).

Journal Entry 12 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2019
Late entry — picked up at May Calgary BookCrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019
Great original fantasy standalone book. I did think the multiple viewpoints were confusing at a few times but overall it was fine.

Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 14 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (9/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking back to the October calgary bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 15 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 19, 2019
Picked this up at the Calgary meet up. This particular one has been through the group so will go into my little free library.

Journal Entry 16 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 19, 2019
Oops, this one has not been through the entire group. I am reading this one and then returning to the group

Journal Entry 17 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2019
I really enjoyed this one.

Journal Entry 18 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to our December meeting where it can go home with a new reader.

Journal Entry 19 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 16, 2019
Picked up at get together