Cannery Row

by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 014200068x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Arlington, Virginia USA on 1/21/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, January 21, 2019
Chosen from the LFL #55261 in Aurora Hills neighborhood near Pentagon City/Row.

Goodreads Description:
Cannery Row is a book without much of a plot. Rather, it is an attempt to capture the feeling and people of a place, the cannery district of Monterey, California, which is populated by a mix of those down on their luck and those who choose for other reasons not to live "up the hill" in the more respectable area of town. The flow of the main plot is frequently interrupted by short vignettes that introduce us to various denizens of the Row, most of whom are not directly connected with the central story. These vignettes are often characterized by direct or indirect reference to extreme violence: suicides, corpses, and the cruelty of the natural world.

The "story" of Cannery Row follows the adventures of Mack and the boys, a group of unemployed yet resourceful men who inhabit a converted fish-meal shack on the edge of a vacant lot down on the Row.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/18/2019 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Releasing at the BCinDC meeting at Potbelly in Old Town.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 19, 2019
I haven't read very many of Steinbeck's books, but I have enjoyed the ones I have, so I decide to give this one a try.