Half Broke Horses

by Jeannette Walls | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, March 14, 2019
Amazon:
Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did."

So begins the story of Lily Casey Smith, Jeannette Walls’s no-nonsense, resourceful, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. By age six, Lily was helping her father break horses. At fifteen, she left home to teach in a frontier town—riding five hundred miles on her pony, alone, to get to her job. She learned to drive a car and fly a plane. And, with her husband, Jim, she ran a vast ranch in Arizona. She raised two children, one of whom is Jeannette’s memorable mother, Rosemary Smith Walls, unforgettably portrayed in The Glass Castle.

Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds—against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn’t fit the mold. Rosemary Smith Walls always told Jeannette that she was like her grandmother, and in this true-life novel, Jeannette Walls channels that kindred spirit. Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults, as riveting and dramatic as Isak Dinesen’s Out of Africa or Beryl Markham’s West with the Night. Destined to become a classic, it will transfix readers everywhere.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 01, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to the Mainz convention to fulfill a wish. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtravelinawing at Ullern bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Thank you so much for this surprise wish list book in Mainz, oponine38. Sorry for the late journal entry, I must have forgotten to journal it at the Mainz convention.

I have just read the book, and I loved it just as much as I loved the glass castle. Lily Casey Smith must have been a remarkable woman.

Journal Entry 4 by wingtravelinawing at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (10/13/2019 UTC) at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Given to Poodlesister in Northampton, who will send it to soffitta1 as a surprise. ReetPetite also mentioned that she would like to read this book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 16, 2019
I loved this book when I read another copy. Happy to pass this on to a new reader

Released 2 wks ago (10/24/2019 UTC) at Royal Mail (RABCK), -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to Soffitta1

Journal Entry 7 by wingsoffitta1wing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 01, 2019
Thank you for sharing this book with me - I really enjoyed The Glass Castle. Thank you for the bookplates as well.
I will make sure it keeps travelling.