Cod

by Mark Kurlansky | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 20, 2019
I found this good-condition hardcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop, and was glad of another release copy.

I really enjoyed this back when I first read it. It's interesting, but also frightening - the images of those massive bottom-dragging nets laying waste to entire swathes of ocean, of mind-boggling populations of fish taken to the brink of extinction... It's no news that humankind can do a lot of damage in a very short time; whether the steps taken to slow the destruction are working, I don't know. The historical aspects of cod-fishing and its influences were fascinating; among other things, the author suggests that Basque fishermen may have discovered North America long before Columbus did [though after the Vikings], but kept it secret to preserve the fishing - and fish-drying - grounds for themselves. And there's an account of battles at sea between Canada and the US over fishing rights, including at least one small episode involving gunfire - the only time those two countries fired a shot at each other, and it was over fish.

The "cod recipes through the centuries" section is lighter in tone, and ranges from "ewwww! Who could eat THAT!" to "Mmmmm! I want some!"

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Jennings Rd in Westborough, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (1/24/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Jennings Rd in Westborough, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]