Animalia

by Graeme Base | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 20, 2019
I got this handsome hardcover at a Goodwill thrift shop, for another release copy.

It's an elaborately alliterative alphabet book, with lavish illustrations showing many examples of the letter in question - and with a challenge to the reader to see how many they can find! My favorite page is probably "L" - "Lazy Lions Lounging in the Local Library," with illustrations including books ("King Lear", "Lassie Come Home"), categories ("Law", "Literature"), and random non-book "L" items such as a lizard, a lobster, some lace...

The most challenging letter is always "X", and here the author gets clever, using a mirror to feature words *ending* in "X" but appearing in reverse: "reX foX fiXes siX saXophones"; smaller images reference X-rays and X chromosomes - and what I believe is American Sign Language for "X", too!

I've also enjoyed other books by this author, including the poignant The Water Hole, which commemorates many vanished species...

[The book inspired a 2007 animated series, which has its own TV Tropes page with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Gary Circle in Westborough, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (1/24/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Gary Circle in Westborough, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 TV Series release challenge. ***