True Crimes and How They Were Solved: Science Unravels Baffling Cases

by Anita Larsen | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 1/18/2019
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 18, 2019
I bought this at a local charity shop because I thought it looked interesting.

Anyway, I don't know when I will get to this one, but I will read it eventually.

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 3, 2021
I read through this slim volume last night as I wanted to have it available for an upcoming swap in which I'm participating.

Being a scientific book from 1993, this is clearly out of date, but I still found it interesting. Some of it deals with the use of forensics in historical cases, which won't change anyway. The parts that deal with what was at the time emerging science/procedure were still interesting to me because I thought it was fun to see what attitudes/ideas were around at the time and be able to compare that with how things have actually gone over the intervening decades.

There is one case discussed in this book involving insulin, and I don't think the science is explained well. As a Type One Diabetic insulin has been keeping me alive since the 1990s; in a survival situation, I need it more urgently even than water. Insulin is right below oxygen in my personal hierarchy of needs, so I'm pretty familiar with it, and I think the author made mistakes in that part, one of which really changes a meaning. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding her, but I think that probably the book was written with background research done by the author and there was something Ms. Larsen didn't quite understand. Oh well, it's not a science textbook, and it was still a quick, interesting read for me. I even learned a couple of historical facts that I didn't know before picking it up.

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 6, 2021
I am sending this off to CavyNomes in Australia as part of the Very Small Book Exchange.

I've chosen this book for CavyNomes because I see from her profile that she enjoys true crime and forensic sciences, and this is a very small book on just those subjects. I also see that she doesn't have a lot of time for reading these days, so I hope that she will find this little book both interesting and easy enough to read in little pieces of need be!

Journal Entry 4 by CavyNomes at Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 13, 2021
Received last week as part of the Very Small Book exchange.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by CavyNomes at Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 13, 2021
Thanks for picking this book for me, I do indeed like true crime.
Now I am very curious about the case that mentions insulin, as I also have knowledge/experience in that area. I will let you know what I think.

I am looking forward to reading this small book.