Where the Crawdads Sing

by Delia Owens | e-Books |
ISBN: 0735219117 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 1/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Thursday, January 17, 2019
For exquisite sentences whose sheer beauty will have you feeling lovely inside, look to Delia Owen's new book, Where the Crawdads Sing. She is a fine crafter of words when dealing with the natural world, in this case the marshland around the North Carolina coast. It is clear as well that she is an intense observer of the minutiae of the life around her, both plant and animal. This book was the January selection of my Music Hall book club. Opinions were mixed, but I am among those who really loved the book. Although it is true that character development is not nearly as impressive as the natural descriptions, that didn't matter to me in the long run, as I found the characters realistically drawn and the story/plot kept me turning the pages. One person said something along the lines of "I've read a better mystery, a better character creation, a better descriptive novel, but never one that weaves all these topics together so well." I cannot speak to much of the tale without spoilers, but here is the crux: it all revolves around Kya, the "Marsh Girl". The story opens as the very young Kya watches her mother walk away from their shack in the marsh, dressed in her wobbly heels and carrying a suitcase, never to return. Two older sibling have already fled, one more will soon, and dad (a well wrought character, struggling with drink and war memories and the results of the Depression...) too...so from the age of ten, she is on her own. Some people in our group simply found this unbelievable, in the 1950's.... but I don't. She is a survivor, and elusive in many ways. She has encounters with a few people in the town (her only friends are Jumpin' (a black man who has a store and on-the-water gas pump and his wife Mabel and a boy a bit older that her named Tate. But most others consider her dirty white trash. When, over ten years later, the town quarterback darling Chase is found dead at the bottom of the fire tower, Kya becomes the focus of a murder investigation, with most of the town predictably hateful. A good read for the cold stay-in-and-enjoy a hot drink weather!

Journal Entry 2 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Thursday, January 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/17/2019 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the benches near the entrances