Ripper

by Patricia Cornwell | History |
Registered by Libre-Muncher of Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on 1/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Libre-Muncher from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2019

I do not claim that I am a Ripperologist, but I have been fascinated by the mystery of Jack the ripper for years. When I had some time while on a trip to London, I often wandered the streets and alleyways of White Chapel to see what there is today in that section of the city. I have read many of the books and articles by "experts" proposing various guesses as to the who and why of the White Chapel murders. Many of these books are totally ridiculous while some of them seem to have some valid points to make. Most have been light on facts and heavy on guess-work.

I have been a fan of the Scarpetta Novels of Patricia Cornwell, but was surprised that she decided to jump into the Ripper proposal gang. In spite of being a fan of her mysteries, I was somewhat disgusted when she published the "non-fiction" book entitled Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed. How arrogant can you get? My initial thought was that maybe her fiction is not selling as well as she hoped, so she wanted to pose as the ultimate expert on a murder case that many experts had been working on for a century (also some charlatans who claimed to have the only possible solution). I quickly posted her reputation in my diary as a member of the pseudo-expert crowd. I refused to read any book with such an arrogant title.

Apparently, I was not the only one who was disgusted and she apparently got the message and decided that she needed to do something about the loss of her reading fan base. The result was many years of serious investigation including obtaining advice from some very serious and competent experts leading up to this re-write of her earlier catastrophe which is a completely believable book. This book is written as a well researched report on the probabilities of this case. I would not go so far as to say that this book is the final answer, but it certainly is a very believable document.

Now I can go back to reading any Scarpetta novels that she may wish to write in the future.

I also feel that I can recommend this book for the contemplation of any fans of the Jack the ripper mystery.