Out There: A Scientific Guide to Alien Life, Antimatter, and Human Space Travel (For the Cosmically Curious)

by Michael Wall | Science |
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Arlington, Virginia USA on 1/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Arlington, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Won from a Goodreads giveaway.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
***I won this book from the Publisher via a Goodreads Giveaway***

Interesting read (mostly) on the search for alien life (mostly microbes and such, not little green men or the Greys!), (some) on human space travel, and just a little on Antimatter. Beautifully done book jacket! I love the touch of DOS green.

Wall lightens up the whole book with humor. I haven't read any of his articles on Space.com but I'd say the humor and the style are probably similar. That being said, I think most of the information in this book could be easily found on the internet. If you follow the goings on of NASA and any other space-related endeavors, then you've probably already read most, if not all, of the information contained in this book. But, it's nice that it's all in one easy-to-read place here. Wall is after all a biologist (which gives him insight into the biology and evolution of alien life) turned journalist (in particular he covers space tech in Silicon Valley) so everything in this book is just a rehash of what all is going on in this industry and what has already been done. Just in a more humorous tone.

I particularly enjoyed reading about the various upcoming missions to look for life on several of the planets, moons, etc. within our solar system.

Some of the humor using current pop culture references and talk of upcoming missions in the next several years may date the book rather quickly. But, it will still make for a nice history of human space travel and our search for alien life.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Science & Technology Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 21, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (6/21/2019 UTC) at Science & Technology Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

One of the starting books for the Science & Technology Bookbox!

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 07, 2019
I'm claiming this book from the Science and Technology bookbox.

Later: Simplified but interesting - and often entertaining - looks at alien life (including what it might look like, and why), possibilities for humans to travel into space (whether to colonize outer planets or moons or to construct generation ships for longer-term travel), and more. I was intrigued at some of the topics, including one on how the announcement should be made to the population of Earth if contact ever was made with alien life - some good points to ponder, there.

I left this book in the Little Free Library on the Greenway on this very warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***