The Circular Staircase

by Mary Roberts Rinehart | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingedithdollwing of Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on 1/12/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingedithdollwing from Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 12, 2019
Have not read paraphrasing per the back cover: author Mary Roberts Rinehart said to be the founder of the "Had-I-But-Known/genre/sub genre of detective fiction.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, January 13, 2019
I grabbed this book during today's BookCrossing Meetup at Panera Bread in Cambridge MA; I've enjoyed other books by Rinehart but haven't read this one before. (Turns out it inspired the stage play "The Bat", which has its own TV Tropes page; many elements are similar to the novel, but changes were definitely made. And apparently the novel was adapted to the screen as early as 1915!.)

I enjoyed this old-school strange-goings-on-in-remote-house story, though some of the more blatant period prejudices were jarring. (Our late-middle-age heroine says some unfortunate things about people of color, though I suppose the "fair for its day" rule may apply.)

Aside from that, the plot does seem a bit creaky, but that may be due to the way so many other stories have used and re-used and over-used some of the tropes that originated here. A few too many coincidences, some questionable choices by people who should have known better - those and other factors could be infuriating, but could also be seen as standard for the genre, as without them the story would have wrapped up a lot earlier {wry grin}. I did enjoy the atmosphere, though, and when the many plot-threads began to come together it was rather fun. (And I'm a sucker for a good exhumation scene!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Main St. (see notes for details) in Groton, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Released 12 mos ago (1/30/2019 UTC) at Main St. (see notes for details) in Groton, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the Forge and Vine restaurant near the Groton Inn while going in to dinner with friends. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***