Snow in May

by Kseniya Melnik | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Epona2004 of Lake City, Florida USA on 1/9/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Epona2004 from Lake City, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2020
[A pre-numbered label was used to register this book. No additional comment provided.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2020
On a whim, I searched the listings at AbeBooks and eBay for the keywords "bookcrossing" or "BCID" or variants, and found several listings that included some reference to BC labels in the descriptions. (I don't mind seeing BC books in bookstores or for sale - that's part of a book's life cycle as far as I'm concerned. And in this case the BC info was preserved, so that's good too.) I decided to order a few of those books so I could re-release them, and this handsome hardcover arrived today. (It's labeled with a previously-unactivated prenumbered label; I hope the person who registered it sees that it's been found!)

This book's a collection of short stories set in a small Siberian port town (where the author was born), and features some keen looks at life in Russia from the '70s to the '90s. There are bleak aspects and funny ones, with people living under difficult conditions - the descriptions of the waiting-in-line for goods, presented as "of course we have to do it this way", really brought some of the privations home to me. There are characters leading their own inner lives, and those caught up with the lives of family or (sometimes too-close) neighbors. Later tales touch on life as an immigrant in America, with its own perspective on the changes of power in Russia. Quite the collection!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nubble Point (see notes) in York, Maine USA on Sunday, October 18, 2020

Released 4 days ago (10/17/2020 UTC) at Nubble Point (see notes) in York, Maine USA

I left this book on a bench overlooking the Nubble Lighthouse on this bright, cool day. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in Maine here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Tick Tock challenge. ***