The Orphan's Tale

by Pam Jenoff | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0778319814 Global Overview for this book
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 05, 2019
Found this and thought it looked good. I was not disappointed. The author also wrote The Kommodant's Girl. She has done a lot of research about World War II. That is where she took 2 of the facts that she found out about: train car full of infants being shipped somewhere - all alone and in the cold, and Jewish circus' and how other circus' were still operating during the war and how one hid Jews within their ranks. This was an amazing read.
A powerful novel of friendship set in a traveling circus during World War II, The Orphan's Tale introduces two extraordinary women and their harrowing stories of sacrifice and survival

Sixteen-year-old Noa has been cast out in disgrace after becoming pregnant by a Nazi soldier and being forced to give up her baby. She lives above a small rail station, which she cleans in order to earn her keep… When Noa discovers a boxcar containing dozens of Jewish infants bound for a concentration camp, she is reminded of the child that was taken from her. And in a moment that will change the course of her life, she snatches one of the babies and flees into the snowy night.

Noa finds refuge with a German circus, but she must learn the flying trapeze act so she can blend in undetected, spurning the resentment of the lead aerialist, Astrid. At first rivals, Noa and Astrid soon forge a powerful bond. But as the facade that protects them proves increasingly tenuous, Noa and Astrid must decide whether their friendship is enough to save one another—or if the secrets that burn between them will destroy everything.

Journal Entry 2 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 28, 2019
Chose this book for my Christmas wrapped gift. I chose the book based on the first line of the book...”They will be looking for me by now”.

Looks like a great book. Thanks Sing song

Journal Entry 3 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019
This was a great book. Believable and interesting characters, crazy story line, history, circus, babies....Thanks Sing-song for the gift!

Journal Entry 4 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at Cravings - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Picked up at the March meeting!

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (7/13/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the July meeting! Another emotionally gripping tale from Pam Jenoff.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 7 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2019
Caught at local book crossing meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 23, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (5/23/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Handoff to fellow book-crosser.

Journal Entry 9 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 11, 2020
Received from a private hand off from other member