The Evening Chorus

by Helen Humphreys | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/31/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 31, 2018
This is a hardcover book. My brother and sister-in-law gave it to me for Christmas 2018. I am really looking forward to it because I have loved all the other books by this author that I have read.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, July 11, 2019
For a relatively short book there is a lot packed into it. And, of course, given the author the writing is lyrical.

James Hunter's plane is shot down on his very first mission. When he is picked up by a German boat from the English channel the first words he hears are "For you, the war is over." He spends the next 5 years in a German prisoner of war camp. Back in England his new bride, Rose, is living in a small cottage on the edge of Ashdown Forest in Sussex (in a quirk of fate the cottage is near Forest Row which is the town my husband's grandfather lived in before he went off to join the Merchant Marine). She has a job and she is the blackout warden for Forest Row and she has got herself a dog but she still finds time hangs heavy on her hands. Then she meets another airforce officer staying in the village and they have an affair. Rose falls in love with this man and wonders if she ever loved James. In the prison camp some men try to escape but James sees that as futile. So he decides to undertake a "proper study" of a pair of redstarts that are nesting in a stone wall just outside of the prison grounds. At first this activity is viewed as suspicious but when he explains to the Kommandant what he is doing he finds a kindred spirit and is given the green light. James tries to interest Rose in his study by suggesting she find a similar nest and observe it but Rose is not keen on nature study. James' sister Enid, who has come to stay with Rose after her London apartment was bombed, does like the natural world and she gives her days over to studying the flora and fauna of Ashdown Forest. So amongst the horrors of war people manage to find beauty and grace; even after the war these characters are appreciative of small wonders and this helps them heal from the tragedies they experienced during the war.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 02, 2019

Released 5 days ago (12/2/2019 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will take this book to the Winnipeg Holiday BookCrossing Meetup. If no-one claims it you can find it on the OBCZ shelf.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by Matty at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
Another book from gypsysmom that she brought to our bookcrossers’ meeting. She always makes books sound so good and I’m never disappointed when I do read them. Excited to read this.