River-Horse. Across America by Boat

by William Least Heat-Moon | Travel | This book has not been rated.
Registered by litrajunkie of Pretzfeld, Bayern Germany on 12/31/2018
Journal Entry 1 by litrajunkie from Pretzfeld, Bayern Germany on Monday, December 31, 2018
My boss gave me a gift card for Christmas and I used it forthwith to shorten my wishlist. This book by one of my favorite authors was on my wishlist since 2013-01-21. I'm looking forward to join him on another journey through America.

Blurb
The author of Blue Highways and PrairyErth "takes us on a lifetime voyage full of imagery, insight and appreciation." --Cleveland Plain Dealer
In his most ambitious journey ever, William Least Heat-Moon sets off aboard a small boat named Nikawa ("river horse" in Osage) from the Atlantic at New York Harbor in hopes of entering the Pacific near Astoria, Oregon. He and his companion, Pilotis, struggle to cover some 5,000 watery miles, often following in the wakes of our most famous explorers, from Henry Hudson to Lewis and Clark.

En route, the voyagers confront massive floods, dangerous weather, and their own doubts about whether they can complete the trip. But the hard days yield incomparable pleasures: generous strangers, landscapes untouched since Sacajawea saw them, riverscapes flowing with a lively past, and the growing belief that efforts to protect our lands and waters are beginning to pay off.

Teeming with humanity, humor, and high adventure, River-Horse is an unsentimental and original arteriogram of our nation at the millennium.

My other works by this author