The Dandelion Years

by Erica James | Women's Fiction |
Registered by wingstarrdustwing of Cookstown, Ontario Canada on 12/29/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 29, 2018
From the back cover:"Ashcombe was the most beautiful house Saskia had ever seen as a little girl. A rambling cottage on the edge of a Suffolk village, it provided a perfect sanctuary to hide from the tragedy which shattered her childhood. Now an adult, Saskia is still living at Ashcombe and as a book restorer devotes her days tending to broken and battered books, daydreaming about the people who had once turned their pages. When she discovers a hidden notebook - - and realises someone has gone to a great deal of trouble to hide a story of their own - - Saskia finds herself drawn into a heart-rending tale of wartime love."

Journal Entry 2 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Starting to read this book today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Finished reading this book today.

A beautifully written story that speaks to the joy and the heartache of love found and love lost. This is the present-day tale of Saskia who lives with her father and two grandfathers, all of whom have tragically lost a mother and wives/grandmothers over 20 years ago and have since deepened their love and commitment to each other. And then the author takes us back to the early 1940's in wartime England, to the growing love that develops between two very different individuals who have both arrived at Bletchley Park during the war years to secretly break codes in the fight against Germany. Through the words in a long-lost diary the wartime story unfolds, and it's impact is felt on the present day life of Saskia and on Matthew - who has inherited the diary following the death of the man who was an unforgettable father-figure to him throughout most of his life.

Journal Entry 4 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 25, 2019
This book has been passed on to me by my sister. Thank you very much, starrdust.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 29, 2020
This is the second book by Erica James that I have read. I did not particularly like the first one, but "The Dandelion Years" was a pleasant surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and really did not want it to end, which for me is a good sign. There is both laughter and tears in the story of Saskia, who shares a house with her father and two grandfathers, and the same emotions in the wartime love story she discovers and reads.

Journal Entry 6 by wingMaranlinwing at Little Free Library - 2302 Bridge Street in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 04, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (12/4/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library - 2302 Bridge Street in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Released for the 2020 D For December Challenge, the 2020 What's In A Name Challenge & the 2020 NJABBIC Challenge (week 48: embedded noun in the author's name).

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use me, Maranlin, as a referring member.

Journal Entry 7 by 2peasandadog at Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 13, 2020
I found this in the Little Free Library located at the Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre. I will be passing it along into a Little Free Library in Burlington or Hamilton, Ontario.