Kafka on the Shore

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 12/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, December 25, 2018
Blurb:
Kafka on the Shore follows the fortunes of two remarkable characters. Kafka Tamura runs away from home at fifteen, under the shadow of his father's dark prophesy. The aging Nakata, tracker of lost cats, who never recovered from a bizarre childhood affliction, finds his pleasantly simplified life suddenly turned upside down. Their parallel odysseys are enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerising dramas. Cats converse with people; fish tumble from the sky; a ghostlike pimp deploys a Hegel-spouting girl of the night; a forest harbours soldiers apparently un-aged since WWII. There is a savage killing, but the identity of both victim and killer is a riddle. Murakami's new novel is at once a classic tale of quest, but it is also a bold exploration of mythic and contemporary taboos, of patricide, of mother-love, of sister-love. Above all it is an entertainment of a very high order.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (3/13/2019 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

Given to grovalskii when we met at a coffee bar (but neither of us had coffee). I think this book is perfect for starting with Murakami. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, March 13, 2019
I like our cafe dates without coffee! :D Thanks for the two books and the recommendation on which to read first.