November Night Tales

by Henry Chapman Mercer | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1943910049 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 22, 2018
I ordered this softcover collection of gothic tales from the 1920s. They're in the classic antiquarian/ghost-story style that I like, and while not all of the stories feature supernatural elements they do share some lovely atmospheric writing. Among my favorites:

"The North Ferry Bridge," a chiller about a vengeful individual using hordes of rats as a weapon

"The Blackbirds" is another nature-as-weapon tale, though here the "blackbirds" are vultures - and while the story (probably) isn't supernatural, it's definitely creepy

"The Dolls' Castle" is the most overtly-ghostly story here, and is definitely a dark one. The genre-savvy reader will be frustrated at the way the protagonists rather blithely seem to ignore the growing threats and the whole creepy-dolls, rumors-of-disappearances stuff, but the climax of the story is still horrific.

"The Well of Monte Corbo" seems to be a nod to M. R. James' "Treasure of Abbot Thomas," at least in the sense of clues about an ancient treasure - and there are some fun twists as to the location of the well among the barely-surviving ruins of a castle. There is indeed a treasure, and it has some eerie-seeming properties, though its eventual disposition is more in keeping with a real-world treasure-hunt than a ghost-story one.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Kearsarge Way in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 18, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (11/18/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Kearsarge Way in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on my way home from enjoying the storm-tossed waves at the Nubble Lighthouse in Maine. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]