I, Rigoberta Menchú

by Rigoberta Menchú | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by AlterEgoZoe of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 12/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 22, 2018
Got at the library book sale during the summer. To share.

Her story reflects the experiences common to many Indian communities in Latin America today. Rigoberta suffered gross injustice and hardship in her early life: her brother, father and mother were murdered by the Guatemalan military. She learned Spanish and turned to catechist work as an expression of political revolt as well as religious commitment. The anthropologist Elisabeth Burgos-Debray, herself a Latin American woman, conducted a series of interviews with Rigoberta Menchu. The result is a book unique in contemporary literature which records the detail of everyday Indian life. Rigoberta’s gift for striking expression vividly conveys both the religious and superstitious beliefs of her community and her personal response to feminist and socialist ideas. Above all, these pages are illuminated by the enduring courage and passionate sense of justice of an extraordinary woman.

Journal Entry 2 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 23, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (2/23/2019 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Released in the feminism/girl power box

When he looked up again Tas had gone. Rising to join the others, he caught sight of something small and abandoned on the floor. "Tas you forgot your pipe." He picked it up and then saw words carved into the wood he had not seen before. Find the music, find the magic.
"Did you carve this?"
Tas did not turn. "Yes," he said, reluctantly. "I have to leave it."
"But, Tas, why?"
Tas squared his shoulders as though firming some resolve. But still he did not turn. "Because the shepherd said that it could only be used once. Thats why I can't get the pipe to play that song-or any song. I've used the magic." He took a deep breath and went on. "And he said that once I found the magic I had the pass the pipe on." he paused and then he did turn, a scamp's humor in his long brown eyes. "It's going to be a long winter. I'm going to leave it here for someone else to find."
"Snowsong" by Nancy Varian Berberick

Found a book? Find the magic! Welcome to BookCrossing!! If you are already a member, "Hello!", if you have only just found this lovely site, welcome!

Congratulations on finding a released BookCrossing book! You can now register on the site, if you want to. It's free to register, but of course you can remain anon. It's up to you!

If you do decide to join, please add me as your referring member, AlterEgoZoe. Thanks!

Most of all, enjoy the book, and enjoy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by lemondrop622 at Englewood, Colorado USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
Taking from the feminism/girl power book-box, thanks for releasing :)