The Poet X

by Elizabeth Acevedo | Teens |
Registered by ReallyBookish of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 12/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by ReallyBookish from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, December 21, 2018
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, especially given the glowing praise and the accolades it has received. I'm surprised it won a National Book Award. It's described as a novel in verse, but I found much of the poetry to be rather prosaic. I was anticipating beautiful, lyrical writing and that's not what I found.

In addition, I felt unable to really connect with the main character, Xiomara. The character I related to the most was her brother. Perhaps I am simply not the target audience for this book. It wasn't a bad read, I was just expecting more.

Journal Entry 2 by ReallyBookish at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 21, 2018

Released 5 yrs ago (12/21/2018 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4Shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Friday, December 28, 2018
Received from ReallyBookish as a Tag for the ���� USA & Canada Wishlist Tag Game ���� 2018
Thanks so much for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4Shawwing at PaperBackSwap.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 28, 2019

Released 5 yrs ago (6/28/2019 UTC) at PaperBackSwap.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

My Review:
This was a very enjoyable read for me and one I spread over the course of an evening. I enjoyed the way Xiomara's voice was delivered through chapters in verse. A number of very important topics touched on in this coming of age, questioning of faith and rebellion to home life.
Would be really interesting if this ever was released in audio book format.

Released this one through www.paperbackswap.com which is something new I am trying out.

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)