Sleeping in the Ground

by Peter Robinson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 12/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Found in the well stocked bookcase of the Auberge bressane de Buellas where I had lunch.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, December 28, 2018
A wedding massacre, a too obvious culprit... this is one of the later in the Banks series; I must have seen too many episodes on TV because I am confused by the differences in the characters - no mention here of Annie Cabbot's baby or Helen, and Banks's parents are both alive and in a residence. The setting is as good (and familiar to me) as ever, there is a lot of music - an introduction to Alice Coote - and a lot of good food that has made me hungry for korma and freshly baked naans.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

on the RABCK table, Haus der Jugend

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 27, 2019
Thank you, danke, merci, grazie - Over-the-Moon! I just finished my "airplane" read (Robinson) and really look forward to this companion on the way home. (The flight is an extra hour! Headwinds apparently...)
'Great to see you at the Mainz convention.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 27, 2019
PS: Whoooo hoo! David Bowie mentioned within the first 10 pages....

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 04, 2019
'Finished this one. Again, thanks so much Over-the-moon for bringing this to Mainz - very thoughtful of you. Another page-turner. Next up: "Caedmon's Song" (hard cover picked up from the book buffet). I am jumping from 2017 back to 1990, but I don't mind. "Caedmon's Song" is also known as "The First Cut" in North American. (Dunno why...they also changed Canadian author Lawrence Hill's "The Book of Negroes" to "Someone Knows my Name" for the US market.) I will take this Robinson to our meetup on May 11th.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookgirrlwing at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Dear Finder of this book: You have found a free "travelling" book, registered on Bookcrossing.com. Bookcrossing is free, anonymous and aims "to make the whole world a library". It also fosters a love of reading by leaving free books in public places. Please take a moment to make a Journal Entry (see label inside the cover) so we know it's been found. When you are done with the book, "set it free" and help its journey continue.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2019
Picked up at the meetup today. Looks good! Nice to see you again Madeline!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 21, 2020
This was such a slog to get through. Granted, this was my first Inspector Banks book and it probably doesn't help starting at book 24. I had no understanding of who the characters are. I thought Banks was living with his lover, but apparently it's just a friend. Not understanding the characters and having SO MUCH FILLER in this book really didn't help. I ended up skimming so much of the book because nothing was happening and it wasn't driving plot at all. The ending was also disappointing and rather quick.
Why frame someone for the murder if you're just going to try and kill the person you were after the whole time anyways? That part made no sense.
Don't think I'll be reading anymore books from Robinson.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 21, 2020
Sorry, HoserLauren that you didn't like the book. Maybe that wasn't a good one to start with. I think you would enjoy "In a Dry Season" a lot more. Also, "The Summer that Never Was" - really good. That was my first Robinson. (He lives in Oakville, Ontario now.)

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 27, 2020
Wild released today at the Little Free Library in Burlington.

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.