The Buccaneers

by Edith Wharton | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0140232028 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
I got this softcover from the charity-sale bin at Hannaford's, and was glad of another release copy. (I enjoyed the 1995 BBC mini-series version of the story.) This was Wharton's last novel, and was completed after her death from the notes she left.

I enjoyed the book, but it did feel sketchy; don't know if Wharton was going for a more fast-paced story than some of her other novels, or if she meant to flesh it out more. It's an entertaining account of several American girls of varying degrees of nouveau-riche-ness going to England and marrying into the peerage - lots of class-related issues (and humor), and some relationship guidelines of the "be careful what you wish for" variety... I admit to having sympathy for the young Duke of Tintagel, a sober and retiring man who'd rather spend his time repairing clocks than running a great estate or attending gala events; when he meets one of the American girls unexpectedly and she takes him for a commoner, he has the chance to find out what it would be like to talk to a girl who wasn't trying to nab him for his title: "For a fleeting second the Duke tried to feel what it would be like to be a Mr. Robinson... a man who might wind his own clocks when he chose. It did not feel as agreeable as the Duke had imagined - and he hastily re-became a duke." {snerk!}

The romantic complications get more tangled as the story goes on, and perhaps it's the sheer number of main characters that makes this seem to be a faster-paced story - most of Wharton's books deal with one or two main characters and get very introspective indeed. I like 'em all, though!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Common in Ashby, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (12/30/2018 UTC) at Town Common in Ashby, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on the gazebo near the town common; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by bravoavocado228 at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 25, 2019
Found this book Downtown, pretty cool