Becoming Strangers

by Louise Dean | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 015603266x Global Overview for this book
Registered by sherdnerdess of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 12/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by sherdnerdess from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
I admit I couldn;t finish this. Dementia and cancer in one book. Too close to home still. Well written though and the reader hets the measure of the characters quickly.

Released 10 mos ago (12/18/2018 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Releasing at the meetup for Author-L theme. Worth a read.

Journal Entry 3 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 26, 2019
Picked up at the York BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 05, 2019
It is well-written, and better than this sort of book usually is, but in the end, it's all a bit boring. The storytelling is very episodic and while the characters are quite strong in themselves, they're not convincing in the ways they relate to each other. It also includes the "lying woman who cries rape after regrettable sex" trope, which is hard to forgive in this day and age.

Released 6 mos ago (4/23/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at the York BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by henrice at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
couldn’t finish it, not my pc

Couldn’t finish this not my cup of tea

Journal Entry 7 by henrice at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 27, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (5/28/2019 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Didn’t get on with the main characters especially annemiek so gave up half way through

Journal Entry 8 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 04, 2019
I brought this home from the BookCrossing bookshelves in the pub where the York BookCrossers hold their monthly gatherings while enjoying a very nice lunch there today. I've not attended a meet for years - but from time to time my books do and I occasionally pick up books that have previously done so . . .

I'm not sure why I chose this - and, having read the previous journal entries, I suspect I'll live to regret it. Hey ho! You can't win 'em all (and other such cliches!)

Journal Entry 9 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 27, 2019
Well, after several false starts, this book finally seems to have found its reader.
While cancer and dementia are both depressing subjects, I didn't find this story at all depressing.
There are some unpleasant characters, I don't think there's a single one I'd want to invite round for coffee and some I'd want to hide from if I saw them approaching, yet, although I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, I did appreciate spying on their holidays in the Caribbean from the comfort of my armchair.
Now reserved for a friend.

Journal Entry 10 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 01, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/1/2019 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To my friend and neighbour, BookCrosser Blower - enjoy!

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!