Last Rituals

Where's this book been?
by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 14, 2019
I got this ex-library hardcover from Better World Books. I've enjoyed other works by this author, and this one sounded intriguing: "An Icelandic Novel of Secret Symbols, Medieval Witchcraft, and Modern Murder"!

Later: I appreciated the peeks into archaeology, especially regarding the information that might be gleaned from surviving documents even when those documents are only tangentially related to the topic of study. The murder itself has a nicely gruesome tone - but its very nature pretty much hinted at the persons involved, so I was slightly disappointed when the solution to the mystery was eventually revealed.

That said, the dynamic between beleaguered single mother Thóra and the German bodyguard/agent sent by the family of the deceased was entertaining. (Thóra is an attorney, not a private investigator, which made her inclusion in the case a bit odd - something she thought, too, but she couldn't turn down a whopping big paycheck!)

I also liked the motives behind the events - there are several different things going on, based on guilt or trauma in the pasts of the involved characters, but they feature some unusual and even touching aspects that added interest. (The characters may not have thought things through very well, but at least some of them went into it all with very good intentions...)

Nice riffs on academia, antiquities, and history - and on troubled interpersonal relationships.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 27, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/28/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer J4shaw in Idaho, as part of the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Friday, February 08, 2019
Not entirely sure how this book made it's way on to my Wishlist, but it could have something to do with the gory description:
After the body of a young German student—with his eyes cut out and strange symbols carved into his chest—is discovered at a university in Reykjavík, the police waste no time in making an arrest.

Thanks for sending this on to me GoryDetails.

edited to add.....
19 Feb 2019....Read this one on a recent trip, and found it be to thoroughly enjoyable. A little slap stick almost in some parts, but I enjoyed the storyline and the characters overall.

Decided to add this one to BookMooch as I'm not seeing it on any Wishlists, and it has been some time since I circulated some books through that site.