Outlander

This Book Has A Story...
by Diana Gabaldon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/15/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
I got this paperback (also published as Cross Stitch in some countries) at a local Goodwill thrift shop, for another release copy. It's the first of the series that has become wildly popular, and has inspired a TV mini-series adaptation that's very well done.

I was never much interested in the whole "Outlander" saga; romance isn't one of my favorite genres, and the combination of sweeping-historical-epic/multi-generational/angst-ridden and time travel (!) just didn't attract me. [The books are also huge, and when one's to-be-read shelves are already overflowing, there's not as much temptation to start a series of 800+ page books!] BUT (there's always a "but"), some years ago I happened to notice a copy of Lord John and the Private Matter flying by on the BC leaderboards, and it tempted me into getting a copy of my own, which I enjoyed. Since then I've read most of the "Lord John" books and stories, and even dipped into later books in the "Outlander" series to catch up on his part of the story. (I find I like the "Lord John" books better for several reasons, not least because they're more concise! They're primarily period mysteries whose main character is a gay nobleman who has to tread the fine line between having any kind of sensual or romantic life at all and being utterly ruined - or worse - if his tastes become public knowledge.)

Lord John doesn't appear in this book at all, so fans of his have to look elsewhere. But this story does feature a lot of details about life in 18th-century Scotland, as experienced by the caught-up-in-time nurse Claire from 1945. And I admit that I have to credit the author with being more than willing to let her men be the "damsels in distress" at least as often as the women, if not more so (poor Jamie!). And it does seem that many people really enjoy the romantic aspects {wry grin}!

[The TV Tropes page on the series may be of interest, but do beware of spoilers; most are hidden, but not all.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/16/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this colorful ex-grandfather-clock Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Science Fiction release challenge. ***