Return to Titanic

This Book Has A Story...
by Robert D. Ballard | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 05, 2019
I got this hardcover from a local Salvation Army thrift shop. It's a follow-on to Ballard's previous book about his discovery of the wreck of the Titanic, with background on the ship, the sinking, and the extensive and elaborate science behind the discovery. He also emphasizes his hopes for initiatives to protect such long-lost wrecks, as most of them are tombs as well; he is not at all pleased with the rash of souvenir-hunters who've pillaged the debris fields and, in some cases, done damage to the wreck as part of their visits. (He rues the fact that on his own first visit he did not choose to take anything, as that would have given him salvage rights and allowed him to protect the wreck to a degree - but at the time it was so challenging to find it at all that he never imagined the repeated visits that would be made in later years.)

Lots and lots of photos, some from 1912 and some from the different expeditions, with lovely closeups of the ship, and poignant looks at the personal effects that still lie on the ocean floor.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 12, 2019

Released 5 days ago (1/12/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Took this to today's BookCrossing Meetup at the Panera at Porter Square; hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 12, 2019
I read Ballard's first book in fourth grade - it was on the bookshelf in the teacher's lounge at my school, where us kids in the after-school program were allowed to hang out, and was one of my favorite books there. (My other favorite: a book about the making of several classic horror movies, including Poltergeist and Night of the Living Dead. In retrospect, it's a little odd that that one found its way to an elementary school.) I hadn't known that a follow-up had been put out, so I was happy to grab it today!