Creep

by Jennifer Hillier | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 7, 2019
If he can’t have her . . .

Dr. Sheila Tao is a professor of psychology. An expert in human behavior. And when she began an affair with sexy, charming graduate student Ethan Wolfe, she knew she was playing with fire. Consumed by lust when they were together, riddled with guilt when they weren’t, she knows the three-month fling with her teaching assistant has to end. After all, she’s finally engaged to a kind and loving investment banker who adores her, and she’s taking control of her life. But when she attempts to end the affair, Ethan Wolfe won’t let her walk away.

. . . no one else can.

Ethan has plans for Sheila, plans that involve posting a sex video that would surely get her fired and destroy her prestigious career. Plans to make her pay for rejecting him. And as she attempts to counter his every threatening move without her colleagues or her fiancé discovering her most intimate secrets, a shattering crime rocks Puget Sound State University: a female student, a star athlete, is found stabbed to death. Someone is raising the stakes of violence, sex, and blackmail . . . and before she knows it, Sheila is caught in a terrifying cat-and-mouse game with the lover she couldn’t resist—who is now the monster who won’t let her go.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 21, 2019
Looking at other reviews it seems I'm in the minority with my thoughts on this book. The cover blurb boded well & I was expecting a gripping thriller. Hmmm....after 100 pages I nearly packed it in being less than impressed feeling it to be amateurish, corny & with unconvincing characters. I read another review which said something along the lines that it was as if the author had done a writing course and felt the need to tick the boxes of what might be expected - yeah, I agree with that. The characters, & I'm particularly referring to Stella & Ethan here, were unconvincing, one dimensional & unconvincing - yes, I know I've said it once but it bears repeating.

As the rest of what I want to say contains spoilers, you can see it here.

Overall, one or two good bits but mainly disappointing.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Debut Novel, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 13, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (5/13/2019 UTC) at Debut Novel, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 4 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, June 7, 2019
Taken out of Plum-crazy's Debut Novel Bookbox, as my TBR pile is massive it may take me a while to get to this.

Journal Entry 5 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, March 5, 2020
I totally agree with Plum-crazy on this one, I really tried to like it but something didn't click with me. Someone must like it but it just wasen't for me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (6/20/2020 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is going into Plum-crazy's Debut Novel Bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, July 27, 2020
Taken from the Debut Novels Bookbox (mainly as the weight was too heavy!) so I will see how / if I get on with this.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, August 23, 2020
After reading these entries I was unsure if I had picked the right book for me or not but thought I would try it before I decided.

This was one of three books I was reading in turn at night for about a week or so and chosen to provide the more serious element of the three (one crime, one literature and one romance genres).

Well, I partly agree with the other entries, and partly not. Yes, it does seem like a tick box writing course exercise but a little more accomplished than most of those. True, the characters were not rounded out enough to be convincing - even the main characters of Sheila and Ethan lacked depth - and the plot lacked logical consistency (I sometimes felt that even the continuity was missing in parts and I was trying to fill the gaps without success) but as this was a debut novel, perhaps my expectations were somewhat lower than normal. I think this writer could develop successfully and by the end, it was obvious that the next novel in the series was firmly on the horizon (and I see that indeed this Canadian born author has written several novels since this one).

No firm plans for this book as yet.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, May 20, 2021

Released 5 mos ago (5/21/2021 UTC) at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Released into a bookbox. Happy travels.

Journal Entry 10 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 25, 2021
I picked this out of Flutterbies9's Crime and Mystery Bookbox.

Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 11 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 26, 2021
It kept my attention on the whole. The beginning read very quickly, the middle was slower and had some detailed unnecessary content, the end went as expected but I didn't get enough detailed content that I wanted. The best duo in this story were Morris and Jerry; they remind me of the "Lethal Weapon" films and TV series.

I do plan to read more Jennifer Hillier in the future.
------------
Reserved for Icila's Bookbox.

Journal Entry 12 by Ythan at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, September 23, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (9/23/2021 UTC) at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Travelling in Icila's Crime/Mystery Bookring.

Journal Entry 13 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 24, 2021
Taken from Icila's Crime/Mystery bookring.