How To Stop Time

by Matt Haig | |
Registered by wingdschinnywing of Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on 12/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingdschinnywing from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Sunday, December 09, 2018
"Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old history teacher, but he's been alive for centuries. From Elizabethan England to Jazz-Age Paris, from New York to the South Seas, Tom has seen it all. As long as he keeps changing his identity he can keep one step ahead of his past - and stay alive. The only thing he must not do is fall in love . . ."

Interesting idea, but in some parts a bit longwinded for my taste. A bit more joy would have done the story good. But nevertheless I enjoyed it and will offer it as a BookRing.

Bookring:
1. penelopewanders (Switzerland)
2. Femke85 (Sweden)
3. Alia_Rus (Latvia)
4. Lamilla (Belarus)
5. LysMibo (Ireland)
back to me

7.1.2019: on its way to the first reader.

Journal Entry 2 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, January 17, 2019
This has arrived in the snowy Swiss Alps, where it will join the line - not for the ski lifts, but to find time and attention for reading books which are not work-related! I enjoyed a previous book by this author so I look forward to discovering more. Thanks so much for sending and making this available. I wish everyone a brilliant 2019 with marvelous stories both on and off the page.

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, February 08, 2019
I'm not quite sure how to qualify this - it's not time travel but the hero has traveled through time, by simply not dying. He doesn't travel back though, which I guess is what time travel is about - he does travel back in his memories, however - quite intensely so.

This is here as a ring, and I have to say I am delighted to have discovered it. I've read one other by this author (The Dead Father's Club) and although I appreciated that (and seem to recall a vivid scene of a child (in his pyjamas?) hi-jacking a bus, despite not knowing how to drive), this book is far richer.

The story itself - a group of people who age at the rate of about one year to fifteen of a normal person - is intriguing in and of itself, but the reflections on time, and other philosophical musings - either by the various characters or by Montaigne - make the reading especially satisfying. Starting with Emily Dickenson "Forever is composed of Nows" and moving on again to Montaigne, to mention but one example - "he who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears", I found myself re-reading and running my tongue over these delicacies.
There are, of course, a number of surprises in the plot. I did feel the end was a bit rushed, but this did not spoil the book for me.
I have written for the next address.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Friday, February 15, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (2/14/2019 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This was driven from Switzerland to France and now leaves there for Sweden. Enjoy! Thanks for making this available.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, March 01, 2019
Thanks for sharing this book! A few bookrays have gotten here at the same time, so it will go on my to read pile. Hope it won't take too long to start reading

Journal Entry 6 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, March 11, 2019
I’m not sure how to review this book, as on the one hand I absolutely loved the idea behind the story, but on the other hand it also lacked some momentum. Yet the lack of momentum also created a certain melancholic atmosphere which was the intention of the author.

At times I liked the philosophical writing style and other times I just felt like skipping pages and hoping something would happen at sone point. But since this week has been a week that I unfortunately had to spend a lot of time in doctor’s and hospital waiting rooms for my youngest son, I had to resist skipping pages since I only had one book with me. In a way it was good, because the slowness of the book repressents the slowness of the main character’s life. He has a condition whereby he ages at a much slower pace, so looking forty-something but actually has lived about 400-something years. He has lived through wars, he has met great writers, he has seen history repeat itself over and over again. But most importantly, he has lost everyone he has loved and has sometimes been responsible for their loss.

This book has come to me as a bookray and it was also a wishlist book. So I’m happy to have read it and will send it on promptly. I’m sorry to have caused a bit of water damage. This book has been my companion in lots of waiting rooms and there has been a small accident with a water bottle. Luckily the book dried up well and doesn’t seem to be too damaged. To make sure that it is completely dry before I send it with the post, I will leave it on the radiator for a day. If it does happen to be a problem further down the ring, I will obviously send a replacement.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, March 15, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/15/2019 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Off to the next on the bookray!

I always try to post my controlled releases with real stamps. If you are not a collector yourself, you might want to check out this post on the forum about a stamps sweeps that I organised (now closed) or this one about Bookcrossers who collect stamps. A lot of Bookcrossers collect stamps for charity, so it’s nice to find them a good home!

Journal Entry 8 by Alia_Rus at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Thursday, March 21, 2019
Book arrived today.
I have 2 bookrings waiting, so I will start reading asap.