Paul's Case and Other Stories

by Willa Cather | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 12/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 08, 2018
I've read several Willa Cather novels, but this was my first time reading her short stories. I enjoyed what she did with the form. My favorites in this slim collection were "Eric Hermannson's Soul" and "The Enchanted Bluff."

Released 8 mos ago (2/18/2019 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out as a RABCK to another BookCrosser who I thought might enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2019
The RABCK package arrived today - thanks so much! (The package had been opened for media-mail inspection; I think all the original books were still in it, but if I fail to journal one, please let me know, as that might indicate an escapee.)

This one looked intriguing; I don't recall reading any short stories by Cather, and as I love that format I'm looking forward to this.

Later: Very fine stories here, some more poignant than others. I also enjoyed "Eric Hermannson's Soul," though I hope that the passages about the death-of-the-soul of so many Nordic immigrants wasn't true...

"The Enchanted Bluff" reminded me of my own childhood, where we had favorite out-of-the-way places to explore - and even a few that were quite hard to reach, though none that were as difficult or as remote as the one in the story.

"Paul's Case" was intriguing and quite dark; it's about a rebellious teenager who has absconded with a ton of money from his father's business in order to live life as a wealthy young man in New York. (The reasons for Paul's problems are never quite clear; his teachers try to describe the issues they have with him, with "hysterically defiant" used by the author; I felt frustrated that there was no way to get him some counseling and possibly some medical tests, but those weren't available when the story was set.) His joy at the experiences of a well-off-tourist, and his keen pleasure in music, made it seem that there might be some hope that he'd find a place where he could be himself - but once his money began to run low and he learned that his theft had been discovered and his whereabouts traced, Paul decides he has only one option. This one was... so very tragic, not least because I've known bright young people who felt they didn't fit in...

Released 7 mos ago (3/22/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Fitch Bridge Rd in Groton, Massachusetts USA

I left the book in the Little Free Library in Groton MA; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***