The Outback Stars

by Sandra McDonald | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by originalslicey of Kansas City, Missouri USA on 12/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by originalslicey from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Saturday, December 08, 2018
From the great TBR pile.
-----
To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know bookcrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Released 7 mos ago (12/16/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 58th & Central (#18697) in Kansas City, Missouri USA

At first I wasn't even going to read this book; I'm not really into the Fantasy genre. Sci-fi, yes, but fantasy worlds, not so much. I had been carrying it around with me, looking for a place to release it for a little while. I ended up reading the first paragraph and decided I might be able to get into it after all.

While set in the future - and mostly in space - there were enough references to earth for some things to be recognizable. The world created here is so interesting. It is reminiscent of space travel and naval rank, of ancient aliens, civil unrest, and aboriginal custom and history. There is bravery, resilience in the face of petty and bullying behavior, there is pain from grief and loss, and there's romance. I liked it enough to read it in two days and want to read the sequel as well.
----
Released in this LFL that contains several other Sci-Fi titles. By the time I released it I had enjoyed the book so much that I almost didn't want to let it go! I hope someone overlooks its somewhat battered appearance and decided to give this one a go!