The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Registered by wingoriginalsliceywing of Kansas City, Missouri USA on 12/7/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingoriginalsliceywing from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Friday, December 07, 2018
Bookcrossing: n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise. - from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Bookcrossers are people who love to read and want to share their joy of reading with the world. We, as bookcrossers, purchase books and leave them somewhere "in the wild" for people to find.
-----
Registered by originalslicey, Kansas City, MO, USA on December 7, 2018.
Hardcover - BOTM Edition. Picked up from the Little Free Library #75330 in Overland Park, KS.
-----
Was so excited to find two Book of the Month novels in this Little Free Library. Both of these titles had been on my list for over a year. Looking forward to reading them and passing them on to another book lover.
----
Book Description: In this entrancing novel “that speaks to the Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor in us all” (Kirkus Reviews), a legendary film actress reflects on her relentless rise to the top and the risks she took, the loves she lost, and the long-held secrets the public could never imagine.

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

“Heartbreaking, yet beautiful” (Jamie Blynn, Us Weekly), The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is “Tinseltown drama at its finest” (Redbook): a mesmerizing journey through the splendor of old Hollywood into the harsh realities of the present day as two women struggle with what it means—and what it costs—to face the truth.

Journal Entry 2 by wingoriginalsliceywing at Huntington Beach, California USA on Monday, December 31, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/29/2018 UTC) at Huntington Beach, California USA

I really enjoyed this "Book of the Month" pick. It held my interest the whole time and suggested a secret would be revealed at the end that didn't disappoint. The author did a very good job depicting what life was like at the turn of the century and what happens in the lives of the Hollywood Glamour Elite. I wish the author had done a better job describing the narrator sometimes; I kept forgetting that she is supposed to be black/mixed race. Maybe that's on me, but I felt like I had trouble picturing her in my head while I was reading.
I left this with my sister for her to read next. Released as part of the 2018 What's In A Name Challenge.

Released 3 wks ago (5/23/2019 UTC) at TCL Chinese Theatre - Hollywood & Highland in Hollywood, California USA

I gave this book to my sister to read and she released it outside TCL Theatre at Hollywood & Highland. A fitting spot for a book about a Hollywood starlet! She said she checked back about ten minutes later and the book was gone. I hope the finder enjoys reading it!