Precious Cargo

by Craig Davidson | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingmathgirl40wing of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 12/6/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingmathgirl40wing from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 06, 2018
Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books for those who want to share the joy of reading. If you find this book, please leave a journal entry to let previous readers know how and where you found the book. Feel free to do this anonymously if you wish. You are welcome to keep the book, but I encourage you to pass it on and let it continue its journey.

This book is currently part of the Favourite Book of 2018 Roundabout. The mailing order is as follows:
1. mathgirl40 -- Canada
9. Fifna -- Netherlands
10. Icila -- France
11. Lamilla -- Belarus
12. estelle1806 -- Ireland

Journal Entry 2 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 07, 2018
This was one of the books on the 2018 Canada Reads shortlist and in it, Craig Davidson describes his year driving a school bus for special-needs teenagers in Calgary.

I loved this book! I found the stories honest, sensitive and extremely funny. Most of the humour came from Davidson's own reactions to the challenges of his work rather than from the children's antics. The book made me re-examine my own reactions, assumptions and prejudices when interacting with special-needs children and adults.

Recently, I was at a local book event in which Davidson was promoting his horror fiction, written under the pseudonym Nick Cutter. I am looking forward to trying those books too.

Journal Entry 3 by sjt105 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 07, 2018
A wonderful read. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Craig learn about his charges and re-evaluate his perceptions of who these kids were. A warm and endearing read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 09, 2018
This book is back in my hands now and I'm reserving it for the Favourite Book of 2018 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 09, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (12/9/2018 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

I've sent this book off to mcsar. The roundabout doesn't begin until January, but with the backlog from the recent Canada Post strike, I thought I'd send this off early.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
The book already arrived. It seems we have recovered from the strike. I look forward to reading your favourite book of the year.

------------------------------
Updated January 27, 2019

I enjoyed the book and, like mathgirl40, the book made me examine my own reactions and assumptions about special needs people. It also reminded me of my own school bus days and made me appreciate school bus drivers and bus drivers as well. I am glad to have the chance to read the book, but there is something in the author's style that does not click with me.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmcsarwing at Favourite Roundabout, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (2/6/2019 UTC) at Favourite Roundabout, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

On its way to valpete as the February 2019 book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, February 11, 2019
Thanks for sending this along. I look forward to reading this, since my oldest daughter has Down Syndrome.

Journal Entry 9 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, February 28, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (2/28/2019 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I struggled to finish this one. Not exactly my cup of tea. However, in the end, I did like the author's honesty, telling the "unvarnished story of one transformative year in his life."
Sending it off for the March book of the 2018 Roundabout. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Arrived today, and looks like an interesting read.

Journal Entry 11 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, March 31, 2019
I was a bit astounded at how easily the author was hired to drive a school bus. I guess I just assumed that the drivers who pilot our kids around go through a rigorous screening process first. Of course, this is in Canada, and I live in the States (and in the interest of full disclosure, my kids only rode a bus for a few days one semester and hated it so much I drove them after that), but maybe it's also that easy here.

It took me a little bit to get into the book. I guess I just wasn't that interested in the author's life before he began driving the bus. And at first the occasional excerpts from the “unpublished novel” irritated me and seemed pointless. But once Craig started his training it began to pick up for me, and as time went by the excerpts began to make more sense story wise.

And once the actual driving begins and Craig meets his charges, I was pretty riveted. His descriptions of the kids were vivid and thoughtful. As he gets to know the kids better, driving the bus becomes more than a job and his relationship with them becomes more than just being their bus driver. So it kind of puzzled me that when the school year ended, he just quit being a bus driver, and never really said why or what he was moving on to. Though I guess it started out as just a means to an end, to generate some income so he could afford to continue writing.

Regardless, this little peek into the lives of five extraordinary kids and their bus driver is heartwarming and feel good.

I'll be mailing this to the next participant Monday or Tuesday.

Journal Entry 12 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Waiting for me when I got home tonight. This is my April book but I head off to the Convention next week so it will have to wait until I get back.

Journal Entry 13 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 11, 2019
This book was nice but that was it for me. Like Aramena, I was confused he gave up so easily when the school year ended, he just quit being a bus driver. He didn't mention having had success at his writing and his career taking off.

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom

Sent on in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 15 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 13, 2019
Received today, looking forward to reading this - not a book I've heard of but I think it's one I'm going to enjoy.

Journal Entry 16 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 17, 2019
I really enjoyed this book, it was a quick easy read and reminded me in some ways of the Torey Hayden books I've read, where a group of children who are excluded from the mainstream find friendship and meaningful connection with each other.

This is definitely one I wouldn't have come across without the Roundabout, so thanks very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 17 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 17, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (6/18/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom

On its way to dark-draco!

Journal Entry 18 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Lovely - thank you. Not a book or author I have heard of, but looks interesting.

Journal Entry 19 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 07, 2019
What a gem of a book? Not one I would have picked up by choice and just goes to show that you should try something new once in a while! This was instantly readable and the portraits the author creates of the five children are beautiful. His frustrations at the attitudes of those around him come across so well and I loved the sense of humour that runs throughout the book. Would have loved more photos, but the few that are there are wonderful.

Highly recommended.

Released 2 mos ago (8/19/2019 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next recipient in the 'Favourite Book of 2018' Roundabout.

Journal Entry 21 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, August 27, 2019
It's with me now.
I got goosebumps just for reading the sinopsis. I may get a bit emotional with this one. I'll let you know what happened next :-)
Thanks for sharing.