Palace of Desire

by Najīb Maḥfūẓ | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kingfan30 of -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 12/5/2018
Journal Entry 1 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 05, 2018
When reading the first book I struggled to keep track of the names of the characters to begin with but actually ended up quite enjoying the book and the incredibly different way of life.

So picking up this book I found the names much easier to keep a grasp of as I was already familiar with them. The focus of the book is far more on the males in the family with the females taking a back seat. I’m not sure if it was the business of work and the time of year or if I just couldn’t really be bothered with the book. The men are just so self centred, Yasin gets bored too easily and goes from one wife to another and Kamal is just dull with his first love. On one hand I’m interested to see whhat happens in the next book but on the other I fear the the motivation to pick it up may be a struggle.

Journal Entry 2 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (12/27/2018 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as part of the wish list tag game

Journal Entry 3 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2018
Safely arrived in Leicestershire. I still have to read the first book in the trilogy but will get to this one in the end.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, October 04, 2019
I read the first book a while ago and now felt ready to tackle the second. I found it easier going and though the attitude of the males still annoyed me, having come to expect it, I did not feel like throwing the book at the wall so much. Also, not all the females were lacking in fault and were not above using men to acquire a home, money and jewellery as is the way with mistresses the world over. I felt mainly for Kamal in this book because he had a more sensitive nature and was looked down on because of this, even being belittled for wanting to be a teacher. The writing is wonderful though and the Nobel prize for literature truly deserved. I hope to read book 3 also at some point.

Journal Entry 5 by wingTanamowing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 24, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (10/24/2019 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking to today's mini meet at Wygston's House.
If not picked up at the meet, it will be released somewhere in Leicester.
If you've found this book and you're new to this, welcome to bookcrossing! I hope you enjoy looking around the bookcrossing site. If you decide to join bookcrossing (it's free, so no reason not to if you're interested!) please feel free to list me (Tanamo) as the member who referred you. Even if you don't join I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a quick journal note so I can see where the book ended up - you can do it anonymously if you wish.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 26, 2019
Thank you , Tanamo, now I’ll go hunt for No 1 in the series.