Monster: A Graphic Novel

by Walter Dean Myers | Graphic Novels |
Registered by stubee of Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on 12/5/2018
Journal Entry 1 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 05, 2018
Bought as a Birthday RABCK for Adrienne10. Actually looks pretty good I might have to get myself a copy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, December 14, 2018
Received today for my Birthday RABCK. Thank you, stubee!

Journal Entry 3 by wingadrienne10wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Before reading this graphic novel, I checked out Monster by Walter Dean Myers from the library. Monster came out in 1999 and I had never read it. Since this was an adaptation, I wanted to read the source material first.

The novel is written in the form of a film. The graphic novel depicts the shots described in the novel, which saves some reading time. Although, if you weren't aware of what was going on, you might not realize that the framing of the panels is a direct translation of the book. I wish the graphic novel had also put in the images that the book uses in some way.

I appreciated that the graphic novel clarified some pieces I had not understood or missed in the novel. It also presented a few scenes with a different understanding than I had. In one case, it drastically changes the meaning of the scene from Steve's point of view. I prefer to go with my understanding.

The graphic novel presents Monster quite well. If a reader preferred graphic novels to novels, it would be an okay substitute. However, the interesting manner in which the original novel is written is worth the read. I suggest reading both, if possible since neither is a very long read.

I'm not totally sure what I plan to do with this book. I'll keep it on my shelf until I find a good home for it.

Journal Entry 4 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 05, 2019
Thank you Adrienne for sending this back my way. I've just bought the kindle edition of the original so I can read both and compare as you have below, got a few to read before this but hope to get to them before the end of the month.

Thanks again.