Sleepers

by Lorenzo Carcaterra | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 30, 2018
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 30, 2018
Lorenzo, Michael, John and Tommy shared everything - the laughter and the bruises of an impoverished childhood on New York's violent West Side. Until one of their pranks misfired and they were sent to a reformatory school. Twelve months of systematic mental, physical and sexual abuse left the boys transformed for ever. Eleven years later, one of them had become a journalist, one a lawyer - and the other two killers for the mob. In a chance encounter they came face to face with one of their torturers and shot him dead in front of several witnesses. The trial that followed brought the four friends together again in one last, audacious stand - and a courtroom climax as gripping as any John Grisham novel.

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 30, 2018
You can’t say you enjoyed this book. It is horrific. This is story telling beyond the greatest of the horror writers because this is real. Saying the men who did this were animals is too good for them. It is quite a disturbing story but so well written, so descriptive and written from the heart. You need to have a strong stomach but the revenge was so sweet. You can’t help but be a little cheered towards the end.

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, December 08, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (12/8/2018 UTC) at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom

This is my choice for the Favourite Book of 2018 Roundabout. I might be taking a bit of a risk with this choice but I hope it still finds people who 'enjoy' it.

caroline-M
Math-Girl
mcsar
Valpete
Aramena

Journal Entry 5 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Just received this as part of the Best Book of 2018 Roundabout - I've seen the film so I know it's not going to be an easy read but will be interesting to see how the book and film compare.

Journal Entry 6 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 10, 2019
As soon as I started reading this, I realised that as well as seeing the film I'd also read the book quite a few years ago. So I skim-read it through, skipping the bits that I found hard to read and remembering how well written the book was, how heartbreaking it felt to read, and how I was willing the plan to all work out.
Will pass on soon to the next reader.

Journal Entry 7 by caroline-m at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 14, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending on to dark-draco ready for reading in February!

Journal Entry 8 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2019
Sorry it's taken a while to 'catch' this - I'd put the parcel in my pile of Birthday Group goodies and it was only last night that I realised it didn't have a BD sticker on the outside ;)

I read this back in 2012 - this was my review from then ...

I remember going to see the film of this when it first hit the cinemas, so wanted to read this to understand the story some more. It's a tough tale to read. Four friends, growing up in Hell Kitchen, are mainly harmless and spend their childhood roaming free in the neighbourhood. But when one of their pranks goes wrong and a man is seriously injured, they are sent to a Reform School for Boys. Although their sentence is only for a few months, what they find inside is a group of guards determined to bully and abuse the boys supposedly in their care. Those months, full of injuries, rape, starvation and mental abuse, change all of them forever. Eleven years later, two of the boys now work for the mob. When they spot one of their abusers, they shoot him dead in front of witnesses. The two remaining men, one now a lawyer, the other a writer, are determined to help them. The lawyer takes the prosecution, using his position to maniupulate the facts and evidence, while the writer works behind the scene as a go between.

This isn't the most well-written book I have ever read, but as you know it is based on a true story, the horrors of it make you forget how it is written. A lot of time is spent on the childhood memories, setting up the scenes for the later finale. The case is brilliantly manipulated, so that all four of the guilty guards get some well-earned comeuppance. Not an easy book to read, but well worth it.

That being said, I may well read it again before it travels onwards in the ring.

Journal Entry 9 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 25, 2019
When this fell into my hands again, I had to re-read it, having remembered how good it was the first time round. I hadn't remembered incorrectly - the writing is good and it's hard to put down. You can't help but feel for these boys who have their whole world turned upside down when a prank goes wrong.

However, since I first read this back in 2012 (and watched the film at the cinema), I've read more than one article showing how this book could not been based on true events. The author maintains it is, but doesn't seem to offer up a lot of evidence to back himself up. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me a lot either way, in that it's a cracking good story, slightly disturbing, but a satisfying read. However, claiming it to be true when it isn't somehow feels as if the author is betraying the reader in some way.

Enjoy it as a piece of fiction!

Released 4 mos ago (3/8/2019 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next person on the roundabout.

Journal Entry 11 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Thursday, March 28, 2019
It's here! I'm glad it isn't lost.
I remember watching the movie (I guess more than 20 years ago). It was a hard one, but very good, too.
Hopefully, the book is even better. I'll let you know :-)

Journal Entry 12 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Friday, May 03, 2019
I think the author would have done a better job if the book had half the pages. I think he repeated himself often and the pace of the first part of the book was a bit slow for me (as for this genre).
I remember appreciating the movie better. Still, it's a good read.
It will be sent to Fifna next week.
Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 11, 2019
Arrived safely, thanks Arvores!

Journal Entry 14 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 26, 2019
Whether or not this is actually a true story, it's heartbreaking and difficult to read in parts. It's horrible what people can do to kids and the effect it has on the rest of their lives is devastating. 'Enjoy' is indeed not the right word, but I'm glad this book came my way. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by wingFifnawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, May 26, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/27/2019 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

Travelling to Icila.

Journal Entry 16 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, June 07, 2019
Serendipity : The book was waiting at home while I was visiting the now very safeManhattan. Thank you !

Journal Entry 17 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, June 07, 2019
Even better : the story takes places precisely in the streets around our hotel in Hell's Kitchen.
Now let's enter the story ...

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Difficult to realize how hard was the life in Hell's Kitchen so few years ago when it's now a friendly area.
Surely I'm biased as I read it with fresh memories of my family stay in this neighborough.
True or not true, I took a great pleasure in the final plot.
English isn't my mother tongue, for me the book is very well written and agreeable to read.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/11/2019 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

Now to Lamilla ...

Journal Entry 20 by wingLamillawing at Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Tuesday, July 02, 2019
With me now!