Joe's War

by Annette Kobak | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 184408079X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingawaywithfairieswing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 11/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 30, 2018
From Amazon.co.uk:
It didn't occur to me to ask my father as I grew up why he had nothing from his past before the war - no pictures of himself when young, no family photographs, no mementos of any kind. He was a man without a past, and I failed to notice.'

Annette Kobak's father, born in Czechoslovakia, escaped as a nineteen-year-old from German-occupied Poland in the spring of 1940 and joined the Polish army in France, ending up intercepting morse code in a top secret unit in London. This, and very much more, she discovered only half a century later when she started, with his help, unravelling his past after the collapse of the Soviet union. This mesmerising book is at once a daughter's search for an understanding of her father and a search to understand - through her father's life - the Czech and Polish experience of the war.

Journal Entry 2 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Newington Community Centre in Newington, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, December 01, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/1/2018 UTC) at Newington Community Centre in Newington, New South Wales Australia

Left at the book exchange.

Release #9 for the 2018 What's in a Name? Challenge.