The Sympathizer

by Viet Thanh Nguyen | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 080219169X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMankyiwing of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 10/11/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingMankyiwing from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, October 11, 2019
This book was "rescued" from a second-hand shop in Zurich Wiedikon.

UPDATE: I visited both North and South Vietnam a few years ago. The memories of the wars are still alive there, and many times I felt very emotional seeing them ( such as a US plane wreck at the war museum in Hanoi).
The book is about a half-French, half Vietnamese man, who's struggling with his identity, whilst being a mole in the South and later in the US. It is quite brutal sometimes, but what can be more brutal than the truth.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, June 28, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/28/2020 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

This book is travelling to the winner ( or decoy) of the Authors from Unusual Countries Sweeps - June 2020

Journal Entry 3 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Friday, July 03, 2020
Oh wow!!!! Thank you!!! The book came with a card, BC labels, in a release bag, some stickers and a bookmark. What a cool day! I read about the book some time ago but somehow forgot about it, so I am very happy to now be able to read it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Wednesday, July 15, 2020
I did not know much about Vietnam (rather nearly nothing), and I have not even watched Apocalypse Now (which I will now of course watch). I have to admit, I did not even know Vietnam is still a communist country with a one party system - seems I never wondered what happened there since the Vietnam war.
The book itself is great, and the style is totally my cup of tea. One of my favourites this year!