The Man Who Loved Books Too Much

by Allison Hoover Bartlett | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Firegirl of Annandale, Virginia USA on 11/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Firegirl from Annandale, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 25, 2018
How could a book lover resist a book about a man who loves books?!

Journal Entry 2 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 13, 2018
This was a decent, though not fantastic, read about book collectors, rare bookshop owners, and rare book thieves. The author spends time with all of the above and gives an interesting glimpse into the world of rare books.

Journal Entry 3 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 13, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (12/16/2018 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Taking to release at the book buffet at the annual BC-in-DC Holiday party.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, December 16, 2018
Picked up at today's BCinDC holiday party. So great to see you, Firegirl!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019

We all know about thieves who steal rare books so they can resell them for money. But what about the ones who steal them just because they want them? That's what we have here, a rare look into the mind of a hoarder who can't afford - or feels like he shouldn't have to pay for - his collection of choice. It's also about the amateur bookseller detective who caught him. I still don't entirely understand the desire to amass books you don't read, but this gave me a little more of a glimpse into that world. Recommended.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (2/17/2019 UTC) at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Bringing this to today's BCinDC meetup in Alexandria, VA.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 7 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019
I don't need more books on my Mt. TBR, but I just couldn't resist this title.

Journal Entry 8 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 02, 2019
I have always considered myself a book lover, and so I found the title here a bit puzzling when I first saw it. But after reading the book, I realize that there are different kinds of book lovers. I am definitively NOT a collector. I love books for their contents...I am a reader. To me books convey stories that need to be shared, so I don't hold onto my books. As a reader, I don't know how it would be possible to love books too much. However, for collectors, this is abundantly possible, as shown in this book.

This book is really a couple of stories. It is an exploration of the world of rare book collecting, a look at the books they collect, and the personalities of those who do the collecting. We visit the book fairs and book shops where these books change hands, and learn about what makes these books collectible. But it is also the story of a particular collector, John Gilkey, who wanted to build a collection of rare books, and felt no obligation to actually pay for the books he added to his collection.

Gilkey is a strange character. Superficially polite and well-groomed, he doesn't have any concept that stealing is wrong. To all appearances, his moral compass simply doesn't address theft, especially when it comes to rare books, and he consistently deflects blame to other sources whenever he talks about taking books he wants. It is interesting that he seemed to consider time served in jail/prison to just be part of the cost of collecting.

I found this book to be an entertaining and fascinating look into a world of collecting that was only peripherally in my awareness. It helped me understand my own attachment to books by contrasting it to those who feel compelled to collect them.