Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead

by Sara Gran | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by originalslicey of Kansas City, Missouri USA on 11/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by originalslicey from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Thursday, November 22, 2018
I couldn't decide whether to classify this novel as "literature" or "mystery." It clearly wants to be mystery and advertises itself as such, but this is no beach read paperback. The protagonist is a private dick, gumshoe, noir type detective with a dark background. But the standout "character" of this novel is the setting - post-Katrina New Orleans, with a heavy focus on the downtrodden African American population and lost boys who run their neighborhoods with gang-like ruthlessness, albeit a decidedly NOLA flair.

I found the decades old mystery of Claire's missing BFF to be a much more interesting mystery than that of the main plot - and really the only one I cared about her solving.

Much of the novel is lived in Claire's head and in her memories. There's a solitary, foster care, orphan feel to her. And the biggest influences on her life are the old detective book and the people around her who influenced her to become a detective herself.

I wanted to like this book more than I did, but it never came to a satisfying conclusion for me. I went into it expecting a typical genre mystery, but found it to be much more like an Augusten Burroughs type of literature. If you know to expect something different, you will likely find this enjoyable.

I rated it a 7 for its originality, but was only a 5 on my enjoyment scale.

Released 7 mos ago (12/7/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - 73rd & Belinder (#11916 ) in Prairie Village, Kansas USA

A little concerned about leaving this one here because this LFL seems to have some mildewy books. I tried to leave it where it would hopefully get noticed soon. There were a couple nice, new books here that I took and am interested to read. Hopefully this book finds a good home!