Couldn't Keep It to Myself : Testimonies from Our Imprisoned Sisters

by Wally Lamb | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 006059537x Global Overview for this book
Registered by camis of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 4/5/2004
Journal Entry 1 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, April 05, 2004
My Secret Easter Bunny present!! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by camis at on Wednesday, April 07, 2004
Released on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at Fellow BookCrosser in n/a, Sent to another BookCrosser Controlled Releases.

Sent to a fellow BookCrosser for her Not So Secret Easter Bunny present!

Journal Entry 3 by torialouise from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 11, 2004
How exciting!! This is my secret easter bunny parcel and I've been dying to open it since it arrived early last week! And what a fantastic surprise - this is the book I have been craving ever since I discovered Wally Lamb has put his pen to paper again! As you will see from my profile I love Wally Lamb - i have read and re read his other books so many times!! This book is collection of stories written by women of the York Correctional Institution, where Wally Lamb is a volunteer. I can't wait to read it!! Thank you soo much Camis !!

Journal Entry 4 by torialouise from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 08, 2004
I have been waiting to read this book until i had cleared all my rings and could sit back and enjoy the book. This weekend I enjoyed the sunshine and read this book. It was well worth the wait. This book is a collection of personal stories from women in York Maximum secruity prision. Their crimes range from murder to drug trafficing, some are still incarcerated, some released, but all tell their personal stories. I couldn't but this book down, some of the stories moved me to tears, all of them made me reflect. It also motivated me to pick up the writing i have done before and start again. A brilliant book - I'm going to offer it as ring on BCUK.

Journal Entry 5 by torialouise from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 13, 2004
Sending this book out in to the world on an ring - PM me if you want to join!! The running order is :

Glitterlover
Ashley0722 - USA
Scram33 - USA
Firegirl - USA

Then Back home!

Journal Entry 6 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Recieved safe and sound. This will follow on well from Paul Auster True American Tales which I am close to finishing at the moment.
TTFN Glitterlover

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 06, 2004
Was waiting for me when I got in from work yeterday. Yippee! Have read three stories so far and am loving it. Thanks for the extra spangly bits Glitterlover!

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 09, 2004
This was a smashing collection of stories. Really sad to read about the same patterns of abuse happening to each of these women, but how uplifting that they are feeling healed by their writing. Well done to Wally Lamb for helping them towards that. Off to chelseagirl very soon.

Journal Entry 9 by bookfrogster at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Released on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 at about 7:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom.

Om its way to chelseagirl as next on the ray.

Journal Entry 10 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 11, 2004
Arrived safely this morning. I'm a bit snowed under with rings at the mo but will read and pass on asap. Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
This is a fascinating collection of stories by women in York Correctional Institution. Most of the stories are of the women's personal lives, childhood memories and so on. Many of these women have experienced violence and abuse at some stage in their lives, and I was often moved at how badly they have been treated, but none of them use their backgrounds as excuses for their crimes. I've been involved in a couple of abusive relationships myself and at times I was aware of how easily it would have been for me to have been in the same position as these women, how close I've come to reaching a mental or emotional breaking point ... It could almost have been me in their position.

However desperate these stories are, each woman seems to have tamed her demons and found some relief for both her past life and her crimes through writing, and it is these feelings of release that come through the strongest.

Many thanks for sharing this book; it's another that I would never have encountered without BookCrossing. I have never read anything by Wally Lamb but will be looking out for his work from now on.

I'll pass this on to causticangel as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 12 by causticangel from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 08, 2004
Sorry it has taken me so long to journal (it arrived last week) - internet was down, but is fixed now. Am really enjoying the book so far. :)

Thanks chelseagirl and torialouise :)

Journal Entry 13 by causticangel from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 10, 2005
Posted onwards on the 23rd of December 2004. Sorry I couldn't journal earlier - have been without the net. Hope it gets there eventually!

Really enjoyed this collection. Very impressed by the quality of writing & the clarity & vividness of expression. Fantastic. Thank you so much for passing it on to me.

Journal Entry 14 by Winterson from Peacehaven, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 12, 2005
Received safe and well, and is on Mount Toobie. Will hopefully get to it in the next week or so and will journal again when I'm done. I'm intrigued - it looks fab.

Journal Entry 15 by Winterson from Peacehaven, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, January 24, 2005
I think the best thing about this book is the way it highlights the flaws in the system, and the fact that these women are where they are largely because of the way they have been treated in the past. Some of the stories were extremely poignant, and I think the one that touched me most was the shortest in the collection, the one by Robin Cullen.

Unfortunatly I think some of the women's voices got lost in the editing process, and some stories ended up sounding very similar, but nonetheless, the process of writing as redemption and a way of moving on and acceptance is clear to see.

Thanks all for allowing this my way.

Journal Entry 16 by oblivious1980 from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2005
Arrived safely today, thanks!

Journal Entry 17 by oblivious1980 from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 05, 2005
These stories are amazing and many are deeply touching, the women write with brutal honesty about their lives and I shed tears at times. I have always had the impression that many prisons are a bit of a cop out and this book really made me realise that, no matter what their crimes, these were women who were just humans who'd made mistakes, many having experienced horrific trials in their lives. Thought provoking and one I was drawn into rapidly.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by MaisyMay from Fareham, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2005
Received today - thanks. I have two rings ahead of this one but am looking forward to reading it soon.