Stay With Me

by Ayobami Adebayo | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781782119586 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tuanita of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 11/15/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Tuanita from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Described by Margaret Atwood as 'Scorching, gripping, ultimately lovely', this shortlist contender for the 2017 Baileys Prize follows Yejide's struggles for a child against a climate of family pressure and the social and political upheavals of 1980s Nigeria. This first novel from powerful emerging voice Ayobami Adebayo has been noted as ideal for reading groups, and reminiscent of the work of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Zadie Smith

SHORTLISTED FOR THE 2017 BAILEYS WOMEN'S PRIZE FOR FICTION
NEW YORK TIMES 100 NOTABLE BOOKS OF 2017
GUARDIAN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR 2017
Yejide is hoping for a miracle, for a child. It is all her husband wants, all her mother-in-law wants, and she has tried everything. But when her relatives insist upon a new wife, it is too much for Yejide to bear.
Unravelling against the social and political turbulence of 1980s Nigeria, Stay With Me is a story of the fragility of married love, the undoing of family, the power of grief, and the all-consuming bonds of motherhood. It is a tale about the desperate attempts we make to save ourselves, and those we love, from heartbreak.

Journal Entry 2 by Tuanita at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Is this really a debut novel?!
I am impressed by the way the author is able to capture pain, love, loss, resentment ...
This book is about a Nigerian family, but could actually be about mine, or yours... we are in the XXI century, but women are still ostracized if their uterus doesn’t bear a fetus, either by choice or by fate.
This book is close to my heart by the way Yejide is treated because she is not a mother, because in Nigeria womanhood and motherhood are so closely intertwined ... but is it only in Nigeria?
I am constantly questioned about my life choices, judged by not being afraid to speak about them and yet I am European, work full time, married (well, technically...).
Later in the book, another complex situation arises: betrayal.
Do you need to be a mother to be a woman? What makes a good father?
Damn it, I still can’t believe this is a debut novel!

Journal Entry 3 by Tuanita at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, November 18, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (11/18/2018 UTC) at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

To whoever finds it: treat it well, read and enjoy, please release it!