The Book of Joana

by Lídia Yuknavitch | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Tuanita of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 11/15/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Tuanita from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, November 15, 2018
The bestselling author of The Small Backs of Children offers a vision of our near-extinction and a heroine—a reimagined Joan of Arc—poised to save a world ravaged by war, violence, and greed, and forever change history, in this provocative new novel.

In the near future, world wars have transformed the earth into a battleground. Fleeing the unending violence and the planet’s now-radioactive surface, humans have regrouped to a mysterious platform known as CIEL, hovering over their erstwhile home. The changed world has turned evolution on its head: the surviving humans have become sexless, hairless, pale-white creatures floating in isolation, inscribing stories upon their skin.

Out of the ranks of the endless wars rises Jean de Men, a charismatic and bloodthirsty cult leader who turns CIEL into a quasi-corporate police state. A group of rebels unite to dismantle his iron rule—galvanized by the heroic song of Joan, a child-warrior who possesses a mysterious force that lives within her and communes with the earth. When de Men and his armies turn Joan into a martyr, the consequences are astonishing. And no one—not the rebels, Jean de Men, or even Joan herself—can foresee the way her story and unique gift will forge the destiny of an entire world for generations.

A riveting tale of destruction and love found in the direst of places—even at the extreme end of post-human experience—Lidia Yuknavitch’s The Book of Joan raises questions about what it means to be human, the fluidity of sex and gender, and the role of art as a means for survival.

Journal Entry 2 by Tuanita at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, November 15, 2018
If a novel states it is ultra-feminist, I am up for it! If it’s a kind of Joan of Arc retelling, I’ll dive head first! Based on this, I think I had my expectations too high on this book... it would be awesome!
And it’s actually good in my humble and definitely not literary opinion... but it had potential to be the book of my life... and then it turned out not to be...
What I really loved: Joan as a child in the forest, what an amazing scenario !! I also loved Christine just because she built an army and I kind of love badass women...
What could be better: the details on the how’s because I am a scientist and this has science fiction elements. How did Joan escape her sentence? More details on skylines. how did Christine rehearsal her performance? Where was Nyx by the time Leone when back to Earth? I would love to see the first tree bloom with blue light in an epilogue ...
anyway, I enjoyed it, but it had potential to be so much more... :-)

Journal Entry 3 by Tuanita at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, November 18, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (11/18/2018 UTC) at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

A sci-fi for you to enjoy! Please release it after reading!