The Shadow Hour

by Kate Riordan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kiki66 of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 11/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 13, 2018
Harriet Jenner is just twenty-one when she walks through the gates of Fenix House. Reeling from a personal tragedy, she doesn't expect her new life as a governess to be easy. But she certainly does not foresee the spell Fenix House will cast.

Almost fifty years later, Harriet's granddaughter Grace follows in her footsteps. For Grace, raised on Harriet's spellbinding stories, Fenix House is a fairy tale; a magical place suspended in time.

But the now-faded grandeur of the mansion soon begins to reveal the holes in Harriet's story and Grace finds herself in a place of secrets and shadows. For Fenix House hides truths about her family, and everything that she once knew is about to change.

Journal Entry 2 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Thursday, November 29, 2018
I enjoyed reading this book - it sometimes reminded me of (as mentioned in the book as well) "Jane Eyre".. also in the beginning of "Rebecca". It certainly had it lengths and I skipped some endless descriptions but on the whole it was good to read.
Sometimes I got a bit annoyed - e.g. when Lucas, who is described as such a sickly child, falls into the "Blue" and even submerges UNDER the ice - and when they rescued him, all they do is give him a hot bath and then they celebrate his birthday??
And - again - then end was rushed. There were still so many questions - like did Grace and Harriet tell the family the truth in the end?

But, as I said, on the whole it was a nice, easy read.
I will certainly look for "the girl in the photograph"!

And here it goes:

1. Femke85 (S/int)
2. penelopewanders (CH/EU)
3. Florence71 (F/EU)
4. Icila (F/int)

Journal Entry 3 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, December 01, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/1/2018 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

Off it went today to a country far far up North :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, December 07, 2018
Arrived in the mail today. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by wingFemke85wing at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 07, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/7/2019 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I always give a book 100 pages. If I don’t like it after 100 pages, I’m allowed to give up.

This book I managed to get almost halfway, but I kept finding excuses not to read it. Then I kept it on my bedside table for a while, thinking I might pick it up after I finish another book. But no. Just didn’t happen.

I think this is a book that will be loved by other people, but it’s just not my cup of tea.

It’s a bookray. As usual, posted with lots of stamps! Feel free to collect for yourself or maybe share with another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, January 11, 2019
This arrived in a lovely parcel from Sweden, along with another ring. Here in the snowy Swiss Alps it will have to wait a bit as it joins a few other books and arrives at a very busy time, work-wise. It should enjoy the winter sun and snow. Thanks so much for sending and for making these books available!

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, February 03, 2019
In my Goodreads review, I've added the label "suspense", although this is not a suspense novel in the classic sense - not really. I enjoyed much of it, but there were parts where I was less than captivated. Initially I was struck by how parts of this reminded me of one of my favorite books when I was a child - The Secret Garden, when Mary, the somewhat unwilling participant, forced to leave her beloved India and finding herself in a forbidding environment, comes across Colin, the sickly boy... Grace is pushed by her grandmother to take up the governess position, and discovers a reality which does not mesh with the fantasy land described to her throughout her childhood. The references to Jane Eyre abound, and there are echoes of that story too, of course. At times, though, the story was somehow too mired in gloom for my taste, the relatively obvious fate of Harriet, despite the subtle twists at the end... made for a somewhat dreary read. I too, was sorely tempted to just leave it or to read another book in the meantime, but in the end I did get more pulled in. I felt the last third of the book redeemed itself, when there were some less predictable twists, and the plot thickened rather than plodded. I do feel the need to read something considerably more light-hearted now though. This is here as a ring, and I await the next address. Thanks for making it available.

Journal Entry 8 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Friday, February 15, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/14/2019 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

I recently received a ring I had not signed up for, from someone who had accidently put it into the wrong envelope. I (and other members of my family, as it was during the Christmas break) very much enjoyed this unexpected guest.
This book almost did the same thing, except that I would have been sending it back to Femke who had already sent it to me! I was preparing to send another ring to Femke and after sealing this one (in an envelope to her...) realized I should have put them both in the same envelope rather than two for her... and then cottoned onto the fact that this one wasn't meant to go to her! So this was driven to France and posted from there, where it actually won't have to travel very far.
Thanks for making this available... enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingFlorence71wing at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Monday, February 18, 2019
Well arrived today : I'll start reading it as soon as will finish my current one.
Edit : not arrived to enter in the story so prefer pass it to the next.

Journal Entry 10 by wingFlorence71wing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, March 22, 2019

Released 12 hrs ago (3/23/2019 10:00 AM UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

Hope you'll enjoy it more than I do, Icila !